Re: [ECHOLINKHAMS] Low Audio from Computer Sound Card

  • John Fish
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004

      Hi Robert:

      I had the same situation when I got my computer about 4 1/2 years ago. There was not enough volumne in the headphones when I plugged them directly into the sound card. My computer came with amplified speakers (Harmon Kardon) with a stereo headphone jack in the main speaker containing the amp. The only way I could get enough amplification was to plug in a component (in my case a boombox with line in and line out) to the line out headphone jack on the sound card. I went from soundcard (computer line out) to (boombox line in). Then from the boombox line out I plugged in the amplified computer speakers. Thus, since the boombox had its own amplifier I can listen to music etc from the boombox and control the volumne independently from the amplified speakers. Then on the amplified speakers from the headphone jack out I plugged in a three way switch. This lets me switch between headphones, a 900Mhz remote transmitter to transmit signal up front to my den, which goes to a receiver up front. This receiver is plugged into my stereo in the den into another three way switch which is plugged into the aux jack on my stereo. This lets me listen to music from the computer sound card without having to run a bunch of wires throughout the house. Its range is about 150 ft. This way any sound coming out of the sound card on the computer, I can hear either up front in the den or thru the boombox in my computer shack. I can turn the sound down completely on the boombox (which also has speaker out jacks) and listen up front or turn off the stereo up front and listen only in back. Wherever I may happen to be. So Echolink "bing bong"comes thru nicely.

      The only drawback is that I can't listen to anything over the Harmon Kardon speakers that came with the computer unless I unplug the switch to the remote xmtr and headphones. In order to listen again thru the headphones and xmtr I have to plug them into the Harmon Kardon speaker amp again. I am sure there is a solution for this but I haven't come up with it yet. In any case, I am happy with the way it is set up now. Bottom line is plug in an amplified source to the amplified speakers and then go from that source to whatever you want to do. You can find the three way switches and all the cords you need to hook this all up at any Radio Shack. (I am not making a commercial for RS)

      I know this all sounds confusing, but hope it helps you in getting your system working to your liking.

      Take care and "Good Luck"

      73's, John, N4SHX
      Durham, NC

      Robert W2YMM <rpryby@...> wrote:
      Hello all, I have a problem with a  hand me down computer that I am trying to get
      up and running for a spare echolink node.

      The computer is an unknown name with a Cyrix m2 processor, 64 mb ram, windows 98, and a sound blaster  sound card.

      The problem I am having is the output audio out of the soundcard is so low, it only works with amplified type computer speakers.  If I plug in regular computer speakers, a headset, or connect it to my radio, you cannot hear any audio out of it.
      But sound great with the amplified type speakers.
      I have adjusted all my sliders in the volume control and have boost enabled.
      I've tried 3 different sound cards, and there is no change.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks Robert W2YMM

      Robert Prybyzerski Jr
      W2YMM Long Island NY
      Echolink Node #1224
      449.300 Repeater  110.9

      http://www.geocities.com/w2ymm

      Do you Yahoo!?

      All incoming and outgoing mail is scanned for viruses by Norton Anti Virus!

      Do you Yahoo!?