Re: [Echolink-Open-List] 9-11 Net

  • worldwidemd
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
      Personally I feel Len and the net control operators did the best
      they could with the time allowed. After the event myself and other
      net controls ops all agreed this years event should be an all day
      event so that people wishing to speak could. Considering the amount
      off people that this net has brought together. Are biggest challenge
      to the net was getting all the callsign's called off that had
      checked into the either as a checkin on echolink,eqso via the 911
      web page, or e-mail. I dont understand how or why anyone would want
      to find fault in such an outstanding success since this tragedy
      occured. As a sub netcontrol of the net for the last 2 years along
      with bobby/N2br. I agree changes needed to be made but when you look
      at the numbers and time frame in which we had, we did the best we
      could. If anyone had better structuring idea's of the net they
      should have said something way before. I think everyone that
      participates in this years net will see major changes as Len,N2len
      has also stated personally that changes needed to be made to allow
      people throughout the world to speak and checkin verbaly via the
      net. It has been an honor to participate in such a net and hopefully
      look forward to helping in any way possible in the future.

      --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > Well i was told that anyone had some thing to say to let them,But
      > night the net started on msn message from n2len was there was no
      > time and wanted to get the guest speakers on and just read off the
      > call we seen on the servers.Wow what a change from plans been nice
      > to let those that had some thing to say be heard.I gess the point
      > now of days is some of use hams are to be only seen and not heard.
      >
      > Bobby/N2BR
      >

      > --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "kf4vgx" <kf4vgx@h...> wrote:
      > > The locals here were greeted in disgust that the net seemed
      like
      > > one way
      > > > broadcast rather than an interactive ham to ham two way net.
      > > > Seems like most nets have the appearance of being one way when
      > > folks do not
      > > > allow the links and repeaters to drop over the system.
      > > > So as a result...my station probably will not participate this
      > year
      > > unless
      > > > there is a bit of restructuring of the net done.
      > > >
      > > > If I want celebrities on my radio ...I'll go to work and
      listen
      > > > Rush,Michael Savage,George Noorey and the like while I do my
      > daily
      > > routine at the radio
      > > > stations. If I want the ordinary "Joe/Sally Citizen" without
      the
      > > > hype,glitter,egos and politics,then one should be able to turn
      > on
      > > your ham rig and get
      > > > "Joe/Sally Citizen".
      > > >
      > > > Some folks need to be anchored down and brought to the
      > realization
      > > that this
      > > > is a hobby,that it,thats all....just a hobby.
      > > >
      > > > Whatever happened to the well rounded ham? Remember those
      basic
      > > codes to
      > > > being a good ham? Seems like some may have forgotten them.
      > > >

      > > > Bob
      > > > ---------------KC4QLP Amateur Radio-----------------
      > > > Skywarn monitor-AKQ-Wakefield Va
      > > > www.qsl.net/kc4qlp
      > > > Echolink node # 56703
      > > > 145.250/R VHF,440.850/L UHF,29.550/RB VHF

      > > Yes I do see the same issues here , it timed out the repeater so
      > much
      > > here in Myrtle beach that the repeater itself failed a few
      weeks
      > > later. Not enough time between keys. The ordinary "Joe/Sally
      > Citizen"
      > > is the people that needed to be allowed to voice their
      > opinions ,not
      > > a (Broadcast )type Net each year .I sent Len and others a
      request
      > > let the Net start that Morning with Check-ins and
      conversations ,
      > > then at 7:00 let the nets begin with guest speakers and those
      that
      > > were actually there at ground zero. It sure would reserved more
      > time
      > > to the
      > > "Joe/Sally Citizen". voice to be heard.
      > >

      > > > If I want celebrities on my radio ...I'll go to work and
      listen
      > > > Rush,Michael Savage,George Noorey and the like while I do my
      > daily
      > > routine at the radio .
      > >

      > > Yes it really saddens be to see these type's of hams that want
      > all
      > > the Glory . I suggest pass the ladle around each year to
      > > others "Joe/Sally Citizen" .Let them experience the Hobby
      > >

      > > 73 to the Group
      > >
      > > John Kf4vgx Node 3702
      > > M.B.S.C
    • kf4vgx
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
        Fault ,I think is the wrong word here .I thik disappoint to Repeater
        owners and to the average ham operator's as to the type of broadcast
        Net it turned out to be . After all they were expecting to be able
        to say a few words.
        As for suggestions on having it start at 7 am with different net
        controls taking check ins and allowing some conversation during the
        day, then at 7 pm allow the net to start with guest speakers and
        hams who were actualy there at ground zero,depending on how many you
        get. The way the net runs now its a broadcast type net. No reasons
        to take checkins when you can log them during the day and then visit
        the website.
        But of course I sent email like this to Len and others last year
        with no reply back...

        The only other thing I can say is do different types of nets
        besides the 9 / 11 event.

        Its time to let the world heal without this net showing up ever year
        to slap them in the face.

        You want to do a big net ? Do something like I said years ago ,
        (Global link Net ) Say hello around the world in your language
        Where you simply have all Countries involved saying Hello from etc.
        Email net the NC's to let them know if your going to have check ins
        before the net . and let it run 24 hours with different N.C. let the
        average ham enjoy being involved with ham radio. Make sure you dont
        have a select few doing the Net in other word share the hobby to
        others. .

        73 to the Group
        KF4VGX John
        Node 3702

        Anyone of you can start a conference server and promote your own net
        or simple conversation . You can use some of the conferences servers
        you see as well. But what ever you dont let others defer yor ideas
        into there own.

      • KC4QLP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004

          And there anyone on that checkin has
          some thing to say he/she should be allowed to speak.I know with over
          1000 connected and in the 3 1/2 hrs it was impissible to get
          everyone on.I hope this september 11 net will be better and allow
          that.

          Bobby/N2BR

          Seems to me that whoever first thought of this net had the idea and suggestion to begin with, that the 9-11 net should have been an all day event....and not tryed to be squeezed into a 3 1/2 hour time period.

          Dont get me wrong...I'm not downing the net or what it stood/stands for.
          I do have objections to things other than ARRL bulletins,Amatuer Radio Newsline and the like to take on the appearance of being a one way transmission.
          Lets remember the "spirit" of part 97.

          If things are truely going to be restructured for this years event,there needs to be a time limit placed on comments and transmissions.--- 3 minutes max ---. Actually it would be nice to see this implemented and enforced on -ALL- nets. There are too many repeaters and RF links that operate on the 3 minute time limit rule.Folks need to realize that Echolink isnt just some internet chat program where you can talk "forever" without regard for the linked RF operations.
          Operators on Echolink need to treat conference servers,link and repeater nodes the same as if they were operating on their local repeater.Keep the transmissions short and to the point.

          I just can not justify taking the timer off of my machine just for a net via echolink.It [the nets] needs to follow the same operating procedures as a plain ol RF originated net.

          Bob Carter
          Operations/Engineering--Max Media Radio Group/NC Division
          WGAI-NewsRadio 560 AM Stereo .., WCXL 104.1 Beach 104..., WQDK 99.3
          Q-Country..., WWOC 94.5 WaterCountry 94.5
          Mid-Atlantic Engineering Services--providing radio stations with engineering
          services in the middle eastern Atlantic area.E-mail:MidAtlanticEngin@...

        • mdelink
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
            I would just like to say I am looking forward to the net. I have
            been deployed 24 out of the last 28 months since September and
            wasn't able to make the first two. I was at the Pentagon on Sept
            12th 2001 and from there sent to Iraq in 2003. So I will enjoy any
            thing you work out. Keep up the good work
            n3ypi

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > people throughout the world to speak and checkin verbaly via the
            > > net. It has been an honor to participate in such a net and
            > hopefully
            > > look forward to helping in any way possible in the future.
            > >

            > > --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Well i was told that anyone had some thing to say to let
            > them,But
            > > > night the net started on msn message from n2len was there was
            no
            > > > time and wanted to get the guest speakers on and just read off
            > the
            > > > call we seen on the servers.Wow what a change from plans been
            > nice
            > > > to let those that had some thing to say be heard.I gess the
            > point
            > > > now of days is some of use hams are to be only seen and not

          • kf4vgx
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
              You Sir and others like you are infact the the voice that needs to
              be heard !

              73 John kf4vgx