9-11 Net just for the Record. /Sept 11

  • kf4vgx
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
      Just for the record ,Date: Wed Aug 28, 2002 , as seems some have
      forgotten where the first idea and post came from on the N2LEN
      Commemorative 9 11 Net. And then these hams took charge:

      N2LEN- LEN
      N2len1@a...

      KC3MN-GREG
      kc3mn@q...

      WB2UZR-SCOTT
      schmautz@o...

      K5JD-JOHNNY
      k5jd@a...

      Just join this group;

      And use the search feature type in , Sept 11.

      From: "kf4vgx" <jwilliams11@s...>
      Date: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:05 am
      Sept 11

      I think it would be a great IDEA if we as fellow hams had a net on
      Sept 11 inviting all officers and firemen in New York and other
      area's, who are hams that has info on the Site or Stories to tell to
      share and morn our loss's , and to improve ham relation's with
      fellow hams . Call it Across America Net .It could become a weekly
      net on Emergency practice nets .If there is a problem with the
      INTERNET crashing. Only allow Repeaters and let the users link to
      repeaters . Let each state Check in with traffic or without
      traffic .But do try to get all 52 states . N2LEN has done a lot But
      maybe this is one he would enjoy 73
      DE KF4VGX /John Gateway link operator On the N4JTH 147.285 node #
      25181
      73 to the Group

      John Kf4vgx Node 3702
      M.B.S.C
    • worldwidemd
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
        Personally I feel Len and the net control operators did the best
        they could with the time allowed. After the event myself and other
        net controls ops all agreed this years event should be an all day
        event so that people wishing to speak could. Considering the amount
        off people that this net has brought together. Are biggest challenge
        to the net was getting all the callsign's called off that had
        checked into the either as a checkin on echolink,eqso via the 911
        web page, or e-mail. I dont understand how or why anyone would want
        to find fault in such an outstanding success since this tragedy
        occured. As a sub netcontrol of the net for the last 2 years along
        with bobby/N2br. I agree changes needed to be made but when you look
        at the numbers and time frame in which we had, we did the best we
        could. If anyone had better structuring idea's of the net they
        should have said something way before. I think everyone that
        participates in this years net will see major changes as Len,N2len
        has also stated personally that changes needed to be made to allow
        people throughout the world to speak and checkin verbaly via the
        net. It has been an honor to participate in such a net and hopefully
        look forward to helping in any way possible in the future.

        --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > The locals here were greeted in disgust that the net seemed
        like
        > > one way
        > > > broadcast rather than an interactive ham to ham two way net.
        > > > Seems like most nets have the appearance of being one way when
        > > folks do not
        > > > allow the links and repeaters to drop over the system.
        > > > So as a result...my station probably will not participate this
        > year
        > > unless
        > > > there is a bit of restructuring of the net done.
        > > >
        > > > If I want celebrities on my radio ...I'll go to work and
        listen
        > > > Rush,Michael Savage,George Noorey and the like while I do my
        > daily
        > > routine at the radio
        > > > stations. If I want the ordinary "Joe/Sally Citizen" without
        the
        > > > hype,glitter,egos and politics,then one should be able to turn
        > on
        > > your ham rig and get
        > > > "Joe/Sally Citizen".
        > > >
        > > > Some folks need to be anchored down and brought to the
        > realization
        > > that this
        > > > is a hobby,that it,thats all....just a hobby.
        > > >
        > > > Whatever happened to the well rounded ham? Remember those
        basic
        > > codes to
        > > > being a good ham? Seems like some may have forgotten them.
        > > >

        > > > Bob
        > > > ---------------KC4QLP Amateur Radio-----------------
        > > > Skywarn monitor-AKQ-Wakefield Va
        > > > www.qsl.net/kc4qlp
        > > > Echolink node # 56703
        > > > 145.250/R VHF,440.850/L UHF,29.550/RB VHF

        > > Yes I do see the same issues here , it timed out the repeater so
        > much
        > > here in Myrtle beach that the repeater itself failed a few
        weeks
        > > later. Not enough time between keys. The ordinary "Joe/Sally
        > Citizen"
        > > is the people that needed to be allowed to voice their
        > opinions ,not
        > > a (Broadcast )type Net each year .I sent Len and others a
        request
        > > let the Net start that Morning with Check-ins and
        conversations ,
        > > then at 7:00 let the nets begin with guest speakers and those
        that
        > > were actually there at ground zero. It sure would reserved more
        > time
        > > to the
        > > "Joe/Sally Citizen". voice to be heard.
        > >

        > > > If I want celebrities on my radio ...I'll go to work and
        listen
        > > > Rush,Michael Savage,George Noorey and the like while I do my
        > daily
        > > routine at the radio .
        > >

        > > Yes it really saddens be to see these type's of hams that want
        > all
        > > the Glory . I suggest pass the ladle around each year to
        > > others "Joe/Sally Citizen" .Let them experience the Hobby

      • kf4vgx
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
          Fault ,I think is the wrong word here .I thik disappoint to Repeater
          owners and to the average ham operator's as to the type of broadcast
          Net it turned out to be . After all they were expecting to be able
          to say a few words.
          As for suggestions on having it start at 7 am with different net
          controls taking check ins and allowing some conversation during the
          day, then at 7 pm allow the net to start with guest speakers and
          hams who were actualy there at ground zero,depending on how many you
          get. The way the net runs now its a broadcast type net. No reasons
          to take checkins when you can log them during the day and then visit
          the website.
          But of course I sent email like this to Len and others last year
          with no reply back...

          The only other thing I can say is do different types of nets
          besides the 9 / 11 event.

          Its time to let the world heal without this net showing up ever year
          to slap them in the face.

          You want to do a big net ? Do something like I said years ago ,
          (Global link Net ) Say hello around the world in your language
          Where you simply have all Countries involved saying Hello from etc.
          Email net the NC's to let them know if your going to have check ins
          before the net . and let it run 24 hours with different N.C. let the
          average ham enjoy being involved with ham radio. Make sure you dont
          have a select few doing the Net in other word share the hobby to
          others. .

          73 to the Group
          KF4VGX John
          Node 3702

          Anyone of you can start a conference server and promote your own net
          or simple conversation . You can use some of the conferences servers
          you see as well. But what ever you dont let others defer yor ideas
          into there own.

        • KC4QLP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004

            And there anyone on that checkin has
            some thing to say he/she should be allowed to speak.I know with over
            1000 connected and in the 3 1/2 hrs it was impissible to get
            everyone on.I hope this september 11 net will be better and allow
            that.

            Bobby/N2BR

            Seems to me that whoever first thought of this net had the idea and suggestion to begin with, that the 9-11 net should have been an all day event....and not tryed to be squeezed into a 3 1/2 hour time period.

            Dont get me wrong...I'm not downing the net or what it stood/stands for.
            I do have objections to things other than ARRL bulletins,Amatuer Radio Newsline and the like to take on the appearance of being a one way transmission.
            Lets remember the "spirit" of part 97.

            If things are truely going to be restructured for this years event,there needs to be a time limit placed on comments and transmissions.--- 3 minutes max ---. Actually it would be nice to see this implemented and enforced on -ALL- nets. There are too many repeaters and RF links that operate on the 3 minute time limit rule.Folks need to realize that Echolink isnt just some internet chat program where you can talk "forever" without regard for the linked RF operations.
            Operators on Echolink need to treat conference servers,link and repeater nodes the same as if they were operating on their local repeater.Keep the transmissions short and to the point.

            I just can not justify taking the timer off of my machine just for a net via echolink.It [the nets] needs to follow the same operating procedures as a plain ol RF originated net.

            Bob Carter
            Operations/Engineering--Max Media Radio Group/NC Division
            WGAI-NewsRadio 560 AM Stereo .., WCXL 104.1 Beach 104..., WQDK 99.3
            Q-Country..., WWOC 94.5 WaterCountry 94.5
            Mid-Atlantic Engineering Services--providing radio stations with engineering
            services in the middle eastern Atlantic area.E-mail:MidAtlanticEngin@...

          • mdelink
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
              I would just like to say I am looking forward to the net. I have
              been deployed 24 out of the last 28 months since September and
              wasn't able to make the first two. I was at the Pentagon on Sept
              12th 2001 and from there sent to Iraq in 2003. So I will enjoy any
              thing you work out. Keep up the good work
              n3ypi

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > people throughout the world to speak and checkin verbaly via the
              > > net. It has been an honor to participate in such a net and
              > hopefully
              > > look forward to helping in any way possible in the future.
              > >

              > > --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, brradioman <no_reply@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Well i was told that anyone had some thing to say to let
              > them,But
              > > > night the net started on msn message from n2len was there was
              no
              > > > time and wanted to get the guest speakers on and just read off
              > the
              > > > call we seen on the servers.Wow what a change from plans been
              > nice
              > > > to let those that had some thing to say be heard.I gess the
              > point
              > > > now of days is some of use hams are to be only seen and not

            • kf4vgx
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
                You Sir and others like you are infact the the voice that needs to
                be heard !

                73 John kf4vgx