Re: [ECHOLINKHAMS] Re: Providers Cable vs DSL (telephone High speed)

  • Tim Kemp WB4BAH
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2004
      Well, I won't complain about the speed on my Earthlink/Road Runner cable
      connection. I know of at least 6 other users in my neaighboorhood and
      there are probably many more. I consistantly get 3 megabit download
      speed 24/7. Have noticed no decrease as people come on line in the
      neighboorhood. ISP has told us it could possibly go down as people are
      added, but that if it does they guaranteed they would add enough
      bandwidth to switches in our area to keep it above 1 megabit minimum.
      Actually we were initially capped at only one megabit when we went
      online with it in 2000, but as people have been added locally they have
      gradually added bandwidth and last year they raised the cap to 3
      megabits which we have been getting every time we have checked it..

      I've yet to see any DSL that exceeds that.

      Kg4LMU_John wrote:

      > ---Well your correct in that your actual connection speed does get
      > slower as more and more user's get online with cable and start eating
      > up the bandwidth provided by your local cable company. The reason Dsl
      > is so much faster is that dsl is a dedicated subsriber line. Meaning
      > the Fiber or coiless line is dedicated strictly to your company or
      > home. This isnt rhe case with cable. As more and more people get on
      > cable the more and more slower it will become. Until the cable
      > companys provide more and better infustructure. DSL has always been
      > faster then cable and always will be. Some may argue this but as a
      > technician I have seen this difference. Mind you some people also
      > dont understand there are various types of DSL lines available to
      > users.
    • J. Moen (K0ZXU/6)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2004
        This report is more typical of what I read and hear about cable.  I'm happy with my 1 megabit dsl performance, but I suspect most cable providers will beat that.  But not all, and if yours doesn't, take a look at dsl.