Re: [ECHOLINKHAMS] Re: Providers Cable vs DSL (telephone High speed)

  • Tim Kemp WB4BAH
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2004
      Well, I won't complain about the speed on my Earthlink/Road Runner cable
      connection. I know of at least 6 other users in my neaighboorhood and
      there are probably many more. I consistantly get 3 megabit download
      speed 24/7. Have noticed no decrease as people come on line in the
      neighboorhood. ISP has told us it could possibly go down as people are
      added, but that if it does they guaranteed they would add enough
      bandwidth to switches in our area to keep it above 1 megabit minimum.
      Actually we were initially capped at only one megabit when we went
      online with it in 2000, but as people have been added locally they have
      gradually added bandwidth and last year they raised the cap to 3
      megabits which we have been getting every time we have checked it..

      I've yet to see any DSL that exceeds that.

      Kg4LMU_John wrote:

      > ---Well your correct in that your actual connection speed does get
      > slower as more and more user's get online with cable and start eating
      > up the bandwidth provided by your local cable company. The reason Dsl
      > is so much faster is that dsl is a dedicated subsriber line. Meaning
      > the Fiber or coiless line is dedicated strictly to your company or
      > home. This isnt rhe case with cable. As more and more people get on
      > cable the more and more slower it will become. Until the cable
      > companys provide more and better infustructure. DSL has always been
      > faster then cable and always will be. Some may argue this but as a
      > technician I have seen this difference. Mind you some people also
      > dont understand there are various types of DSL lines available to
      > users.
    • J. Moen (K0ZXU/6)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2004
        I think the concensus is actually cable internet has always been faster (as a generalization) than dsl.  Typically uncapped dsl will get over 1 mbs (sometimes higher) whereas uncapped cable can go way, way beyond that.  But it depends on what the cable provider is offering in your area, and what kind of contract you sign up for.  Many people are either forced or choose to buy a service who's download speed is capped to a particular speed (384k for example).   Same applies to dsl -- I've seen some very slow dsl contracts being offered.  By the way, the upload speed on dsl is typically capped pretty low.  For both cable and dsl, the contract language usually says "up to" meaning they won't guarantee a speed at your house.

        You are right that architecturally, cable will slow down as more users are added to a distribution point.  When cable first came out, I assumed their business model would not allow them to create more distribution points in a neighborhood as usage increased, so I assumed all cable subscribers would see a slowdown over time.  But many cable providers are keeping up with this.  However, that obviously doesn't matter if the provider in your area is just raking in the subscriptions and not investing to keep the performance high.  From VE6CI's note, it appears the cable provider is not giving much performance in that area.

        I'd look at the cable contract to see if the speeds are capped, and I'd definitely look at available dsl contracts in the area for what speeds are offered.  Since you are talking EchoLink, also look at "upload" speed restrictions.

        Last bit of advice -- in the US, dsl providers (typically the local phone co) are required to allow you to choose your own ISP -- you don't have to go with the phone company's ISP which isn't always high quality.  Cable providers have not been forced (so far) to open up their connections to other ISPs (some court cases have said they must, but the cable companies continue to drag their heels).  So cable means you don't get an ISP choice, while dsl mean you may have a choice.

        (Full disclosure statement:  I have DSL and am very happy with it. I typically get a download speed of 1.1mbs. I use SBC dsl, connected to a local high-quality ISP called sonic.net)

        In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "missiongp" <ve6ci@r...> wrote:
        > I have been using cable as my provider for sometime and I find it
        slow
        > compared to my DSL telephone provider at work. Now being on cable
        does
        > it slow down with more users being on it? My cable is not reliable
        as
        > I get lots of times where I have to release the power to my bable
        > modem and router. I have a Echolink simplex repeater.
        >
        > I was wondering if any others have had situations like mine and what
        > are they using as a provider and why.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Don/VE6CI

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • J. Moen (K0ZXU/6)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2004
          This report is more typical of what I read and hear about cable.  I'm happy with my 1 megabit dsl performance, but I suspect most cable providers will beat that.  But not all, and if yours doesn't, take a look at dsl.