Re: No connect despite properly configured firewall

  • ve2ckn
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2003
      --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "John Laughhunn" <w9jfl@a...>
      wrote:
      > I assume this has been asked and resovled millions of times here,
      but
      > I can't for the life of me find it in the messages.
      >
      > I have a Windows XP client with a Linksys firewall/router on a
      > standard home network with cable modem (Comcast). I have
      > configured the UDP port forwards as instructed in the help files
      for
      > the IP address of my PC. WHen Echolink executes, I log-in to the
      host
      > server and receive full directory listings but cannot connect to
      > anything, EchoTest included.
      >
      > Now, this used to work with the very same firewall config. I've
      > reset the firewall/router without any improvement. The Internet
      > connection firewall within XP on my PC is disabled. Any ideas?
      >
      > 73, W9JFL
    • gervais,ve2ckn
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2003
        john,
        your machine in your lan have an ip adress gaven by your router.
        in the dhcp status(of your router),open the require ports need for echolink
        for this ip adress.
        this way you are gaving permission to open specific ports for a specific
        machine in your lan at your router

        gervais,ve2ckn

        > I assume this has been asked and resovled millions of times here, but
        > I can't for the life of me find it in the messages.
        >
        > I have a Windows XP client with a Linksys firewall/router on a
        > standard home network with cable modem (Comcast). I have
        > configured the UDP port forwards as instructed in the help files for
        > the IP address of my PC. WHen Echolink executes, I log-in to the host
        > server and receive full directory listings but cannot connect to
        > anything, EchoTest included.
        >
        > Now, this used to work with the very same firewall config. I've
        > reset the firewall/router without any improvement. The Internet
        > connection firewall within XP on my PC is disabled. Any ideas?
        >
        > 73, W9JFL

      • Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2003
          Hi everyone:

          I have Windows XP and have NO problems at all connecting to EchoLink stations using Comcast as the ISP of choice.  What do you use for a firewall??  The built-in firewall that comes with Windows XP??  If so, THAT is your problem.  You need to DISABLE the Windows XP Firewall.  Don't use it.

          Instead, go to http://www.kerio.com/ and download the Kerio Personal Firewall.  It's a free firewall program that WILL allow EchoLink packets EVERY time you use EchoLink once you tell it to do so the first time.

          Cheers for now & 73  :-)

          Patrick Cook, KB0OXD
          KB0OXD CyberShack Webmaster
          Owner - EchoLink Node 19905
          Rocky Mountain eQSO Conference Server - milehigh.dns2go.com (Port 10024)
          kb0oxd@...
          kb0oxd@...
          Denver, Colorado  USA  Grid Square - DM79
          http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2003
            Thanks everyone for your feedback. Here are responses to your
            suggestions and kind feedback...

            + No, the XP firewall is not active on my PC configuration.

            + Yes, I do have my firewall configured to allow specific ports open
            for my XP PC's specific web address (according to instructions in
            Echolink help)

            + I am using a Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall/Router/Switch (no wireless).

            The problem still exists, so if anyone has any other suggestions let
            them fly. Thanks to all who have responded as well. I do appreciate
            it.

            73, John W9JFL
          • gervais,ve2ckn
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2003
              john,
              have you try to desable zone alarm in the linksys?
              gervais
              ve2ckn

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2003
                Gervais,

                I do not have Zone Alarm installed on this system.

                --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@yahoogroups.com, "gervais,ve2ckn" <gfillio1@g...>
                wrote:
                > john,
                > have you try to desable zone alarm in the linksys?
                > gervais
                > ve2ckn

                Service.