Re: [ECHOLINKHAMS] Hello all just checkin in!

  • A10382
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2003
      Interesting that you mentioned SWL (a euphanism for non licensed users) folks.

      eQSo allows non-licensed users, but asks them NOT to transmit.  This enables a lot of folks to listen in on nets and other group discussions and hopefully become interested enough to get licensed.

      One of the many things that I do like about EchoLink is that they at least verify the call sign before enabling a user.  It really only verifies that the call sign/name match the call books or FCC records - so anyone could hijack a call sign and use the system until the real call owner or a friend notices it.  eQSO does not verify - and this has lead to a few unlicensed folks with bogus or hijacked calls using the system as a free VoIP phone system.   I believe the eQSO server operators are aware of the problem.  However, it is not a widespread problem and probably not worth the considerable effort validation would take.

      Additionally, I've always maintained that a computer-to-computer linkup through any of these systems is not regulated by the FCC or any other radio regulators at all.  In that scenario (no different than AOL Instant Messenger) there is NO rf emission which takes it out of the purview of the radio regulators.  Doing otherwise would have the FCC regulating out internet transactions which IS a scary thought.  The internet is the last bastion of somewhat 'free'.

      73, Frank

       ._._.