OK members need some Help??

  • johnkg4lmu
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 22, 2002
      Ok I have a problem with several new users of echolink and windows Xp
      whats the problem some have DSL and some do not anybody with any
      tricks please help these new users out I have not been able to help
      them out some of them arent very computer savy so its tough to say
      the least. If anyone can help them through some of the steps needed
      to take to make it work look up Kf4zzb and Kg4gyb via EQSO we got
      this software up and running no problem. Some have said they have to
      have it on there desktop and Zone alarm is off what else can we try
      they cannot connect to anyone.
    • George Shaw
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 22, 2002
        There is a problem with Zone Alarm in WinXP.

        This is what I have found so far that works.

        Open ZA Control Panel (right click on tray icon)

        Select "Firewall" from the left hand side panel. (Your setting should be
        "High" for the Internet Zone)

        Click on "Custom" in the area marked Internet Zone Security.

        Scroll down to you get to "Allow incoming UDP ports".

        Select it by clicking on the box and a panel will appear letting you add
        the ports.

        Type in 5198,5199 and Ok it.

        Scroll down to "Allow Incoming TCP ports" and add 5200.

        Scroll down to "Allow Outgoing TCP ports" and add 5200.

        Click on OK, and close the control panel. EchoLink will now work without
        compromising your firewall security.

        George Shaw MI3GTO

        Mobile: +44 (0) 7740 361 163
        Email: george.shaw@...
      • John Fish
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002

          Dear Fellow Hams,

          I have completely taken Echolink out of my computer. After several tries to get it downloaded and running properly, I have given up!!! I am sure it is a neat and useful service, but I can't get it to work and don't want to deal with it anymore. It said it might take a couple days to verify my password/call sign, well it's been several weeks and still gives me the password reject. I also tried Ilink, same story. It keeps rejecting my password, although I wrote down the password so I wouldn't forget it.I have DSL and a Zone Alarm firewall, but can let those programs thru the firewall that I choose. All other programs I have let thru the firewall work fine. This was the case with Echolink, and it still did not work. It did not even give me a page with the active stations, kept giving me the "Standby" message, this for hours on end.  I think I'll stick with ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, AOL Messenger and MSN Messenger if I want to talk to others on my PC.  At least these programs work fine in my computer. I am a member of the local IRLP group here, and enjoy talking to hams all over the world via 2m/70cm on my handheld from my kitchen. I am very much interested in computer programs such as Echolink that can combine the PC with ham radio and link to repeaters/hams all over the world. If you should come up with a solution for me where this program will work in my PC I would appreciate hearing from you. As soon as a solution comes along, I'll happily put Echolink back in my PC. Until then, I don't want to deal with it. You have a useful group here and I enjoy being a member. I would still like to participate in the group when I have something to add to it. I do keep up on all the bulletins I get in my Yahoo Email and wish to continue receiving them.

          Thanks, John Fish- N4SHX -john_n4shx@...

           johnkg4lmu wrote:

          Ok I have a problem with several new users of echolink and windows Xp
          whats the problem some have DSL and some do not anybody with any
          tricks please help these new users out I have not been able to help
          them out some of them arent very computer savy so its tough to say
          the least. If anyone can help them through some of the steps needed
          to take to make it work look up Kf4zzb and Kg4gyb via EQSO we got
          this software up and running no problem. Some have said they have to
          have it on there desktop and Zone alarm is off what else can we try
          they cannot connect to anyone.

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • Robert E March
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002
            Sorry to hear about the other fellas problems. I downloaded EchoLink and had it up and running in about 5 minutes...took about one minute to verify my call/password. Great piece of software and am going to enjoy it.I also sent a copy to my brother N7LON as he has no ham gear at present and would like to talk to other hams. Thanks
            de VA7BM Bob

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002

              I did use Ilink for awhile last year. I used the same password for Echolink as I did for I link. It said something in there that you could use the same password as before. I took Ilink out last year cause it was so confusing to use. Hope Echolink, If I ever get it working, is not as confusing to figure out. They should write instructions so the average layman with not much computer savvy can understand them You have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out some of the instructions that come with I link. tell it to me in plain everyday English. I'll understand it then. I don't have a degree in Computer Science.

              Thanks, John-N4SHX

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002
                --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@y..., John Fish <john_n4shx@y...> wrote:

                > I did use Ilink for awhile last year. I used the same password for
                Echolink as I did for I link. It said something in there that you
                could use the same password as before. I took Ilink out last year
                cause it was so confusing to use. Hope Echolink, If I ever get it
                working, is not as confusing to figure out. They should write
                instructions so the average layman with not much computer savvy can
                understand them You have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out
                some of the instructions that come with I link. tell it to me in
                plain everyday English. I'll understand it then. I don't have a
                degree in Computer Science.
                > Thanks, John-N4SHX
                > Robert E March wrote:Sorry to hear about the other fellas
                problems. I downloaded EchoLink and had it up and running in about 5
                minutes...took about one minute to verify my call/password. Great
                piece of software and am going to enjoy it.I also sent a copy to my
                brother N7LON as he has no ham gear at present and would like to talk
                to other hams. Thanksde VA7BM Bob----- Original Message ----- From:
                John Fish To: ECHOLINKHAMS@y... Cc: fish.ij@v... Sent: August 23,
                2002 8:49 AMSubject: Re: [ECHOLINKHAMS] OK members need some Help??

                > Dear Fellow Hams,
                > I have completely taken Echolink out of my computer. After several
                tries to get it downloaded and running properly, I have given up!!! I
                am sure it is a neat and useful service, but I can't get it to work
                and don't want to deal with it anymore. It said it might take a
                couple days to verify my password/call sign, well it's been several
                weeks and still gives me the password reject. I also tried Ilink,
                same story. It keeps rejecting my password, although I wrote down the
                password so I wouldn't forget it.I have DSL and a Zone Alarm
                firewall, but can let those programs thru the firewall that I choose.
                All other programs I have let thru the firewall work fine. This was
                the case with Echolink, and it still did not work. It did not even
                give me a page with the active stations, kept giving me the "Standby"
                message, this for hours on end. I think I'll stick with ICQ, Yahoo
                Messenger, AOL Messenger and MSN Messenger if I want to talk to
                others on my PC. At least these programs work fine in my computer. I
                am a member of the local IRLP group here, and enjoy talking to hams
                all over the world via 2m/70cm on my handheld from my kitchen. I am
                very much interested in computer programs such as Echolink that can
                combine the PC with ham radio and link to repeaters/hams all over the
                world. If you should come up with a solution for me where this
                program will work in my PC I would appreciate hearing from you. As
                soon as a solution comes along, I'll happily put Echolink back in my
                PC. Until then, I don't want to deal with it. You have a useful group
                here and I enjoy being a member. I would still like to participate in
                the group when I have something to add to it. I do keep up on all the
                bulletins I get in my Yahoo Email and wish to continue receiving
                them.
                > Thanks, John Fish- N4SHX -john_n4shx@y...
                > johnkg4lmu wrote: Ok I have a problem with several new users of
                echolink and windows Xp
                > whats the problem some have DSL and some do not anybody with any
                > tricks please help these new users out I have not been able to help
                > them out some of them arent very computer savy so its tough to say
                > the least. If anyone can help them through some of the steps needed
                > to take to make it work look up Kf4zzb and Kg4gyb via EQSO we got
                > this software up and running no problem. Some have said they have
                > have it on there desktop and Zone alarm is off what else can we try
                > they cannot connect to anyone.

                Service.

                Service.

                > ---
                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Service.

                Well I suggest if you cant figure the XP problem go and get Eqso its
                just as good as except for no one to one contacts but has very good
                nets and just as many if not more out of country contacts.
                kg4lmu,John
              • brradioman
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002
                  the only problem i found trying to run echolink on my computer with
                  windows xp is that xp has a firewall and once you disable it them
                  the software works fine.Also with zonealarm firewall i told it to
                  run echolink and no problems.

                  from Bobby N2BR

                • John Fish
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002

                    I am running Windows ME. Have downloaded Ilink and Echolink a couple of times from the main link page, and has still not worked right for me. I have DSL and Zone Alarm firewall. Everything else I let thru the firewall has worked fine. I don't understand why some of us are having so many problems and some download and install in 5 minutes. I have plenty of hard drive space left, that is not a problem. I wish there was a voice link on this page so I could have someone talk me thru the install of this program. I do have AOL, Yahoo and MSN messengers. If there is anyone out there with any of these messengers and voice capabilities on them let me know and I'll send you my screen name for whichever messenger you have. I need someone who will explain it to me in plain everyday english. Not a lot of computer jargon that I don't understand. I appreciate everyone's patience on this. Hopefully we can get the problem solved. I really don't want to disable my firewall if I don't absolutely have to. The firewall was designed to keep out unwanted stuff, and when I disable it all that unwanted crap gets thru.

                    Thanks,  John-N4SHX (john_n4shx@...)

                    Do You Yahoo!?

                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002
                      I installed Echolink on two different computers both going through a Linksys wireless router (both computers hard wired to the router)  I just have to tell the ROUTER which computer to allow the signals through to use.  I disable Zonealarm and no problem at all.

                       brradioman wrote:

> [...]

                      > > the least. If anyone can help them through some of the steps
                      needed
                      > > to take to make it work look up Kf4zzb and Kg4gyb via EQSO we
                      got
                      > > this software up and running no problem. Some have said they
                      have
                      > > have it on there desktop and Zone alarm is off what else can we
                      try
                      > > they cannot connect to anyone.

                      > Service.

                      > Service.
                      > >
                      > > ---
                      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      > Service.

                      > Well I suggest if you cant figure the XP problem go and get Eqso
                      its
                      > just as good as except for no one to one contacts but has very
                      good
                      > nets and just as many if not more out of country contacts.

                      Do You Yahoo!?

                    • George Shaw
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002

                        Just selecting “Let application access Internet” in the Zone Alarm pop-up DOES NOT DO IT. I have posted already that you MUST add the ports into the allow-disallow tables in XP and Win2000 (don’t know about others I have not got them running but I believe there is no problem). On some (a few) systems it does work fine on the majority it do not.

                        George Shaw MI3GTO

                        Mobile: +44 (0) 7740 361 163

                        Email: george.shaw@...

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002
                            --- In ECHOLINKHAMS@y..., "George Shaw" <george.shaw@u...> wrote:
                            > Just selecting "Let application access Internet" in the Zone Alarm
                            > pop-up DOES NOT DO IT. I have posted already that you MUST add the
                            ports
                            > into the allow-disallow tables in XP and Win2000 (don't know about
                            > others I have not got them running but I believe there is no
                            problem).
                            > On some (a few) systems it does work fine on the majority it do not.
                            >
                            > George Shaw MI3GTO
                            >
                            > Mobile: +44 (0) 7740 361 163

                            There server is set to automaticlly verify callsigns and shouldnt
                            take long at all to verify your callsign. Also I added you to my
                            yahoo messenger list to try and help you out with it, Just wait till
                            the callsign is validated and go through the steps in the previous
                            post. With your firewall issue. Hope to catch you on the air.
                          • John Fish
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 23, 2002

                              The designers of the software should go back, redesign it so it will work thru firewalls. I will not disable mine. I Installed it in the first place, to protect me from unwanted hits on my computer and undesireable information from getting thru. It took me almost 6 months of deleting unwanted stuff from my computer with help of a computer expert friend of mine, before I installed the firewall. I wouldn't be without it for a minute. Even when I scan and defrag my computer weekly I leave the firewall and Antivirus programs running. These never get turned off. One of the main reasons was a virus in my computer last year which meant wiping the hard drive clean and starting over from scratch in order to get rid of the virus. This was not a lot of fun, and I have learned a few things since then about protecting your PC. I am sure that a solution to my problem is not far off, I just need help from someone who can talk me thru it to get it installed and working properly. I am using Windows ME and Zone Alarm Firewall. Everything else I have installed has worked properly from the first minute.

                               brradioman wrote:

> [...]

                              > > the least. If anyone can help them through some of the steps
                              needed
                              > > to take to make it work look up Kf4zzb and Kg4gyb via EQSO we
                              got
                              > > this software up and running no problem. Some have said they
                              have
                              > > have it on there desktop and Zone alarm is off what else can we
                              try
                              > > they cannot connect to anyone.

                              > Service.

                              > Service.
                              > >
                              > > ---
                              > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              > Service.

                              > Well I suggest if you cant figure the XP problem go and get Eqso
                              its
                              > just as good as except for no one to one contacts but has very
                              good
                              > nets and just as many if not more out of country contacts.

                              Do You Yahoo!?

                              Do You Yahoo!?