Re: [EchoElysianNCForum] Non-meeting/trees

  • Yucca'sProgress
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2001
      Energy-Efficiency Program Targets Residential
      Customers With Drought-Tolerant Trees for Shade,
      Energy Savings

      Building on its legacy of promoting energy efficiency,
      the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      received approval Feb. 6 to embark on a massive
      tree-planting program that will provide cooling shade
      and energy savings to all city residents.

      "Trees for a Green L.A." will enhance the city's urban
      forest by encouraging LADWP customers to strategically
      plant trees around their homes and to provide
      appropriately-sized trees for replacement under power
      lines, for public buildings and public spaces and for
      energy efficiency related to new construction.

      LADWP will provide 100,000 drought-tolerant shade
      trees annually over the next few years.

      Mindful of California's power crisis and the
      importance of pursuing renewable resources, the Los
      Angeles Board of Water and Power Commissioners
      approved investing $4 million annually in the program
      - one of several programs that LADWP is implementing
      to address the need for energy conservation and
      efficiency.

      "Now, more than ever, it is critical that we pursue
      energy efficiency programs that preserve our
      environment and reduce demand, especially in this time
      of crisis for the state," said Kenneth T. Lombard,
      president of the Board of Water and Power
      Commissioners. "The more energy we save in Los
      Angeles, the more the LADWP can continue to be a good
      neighbor and provide surplus electricity to California
      communities in need."

      Through the program, trees would be available to
      residents who attend half-day workshops where they
      would learn how to strategically plant trees to
      maximize energy efficiency benefits. Residents would
      be required to pay for half the cost of the tree as
      well as for the planting of the tree. Workshops will
      be held in each council district beginning this
      spring.

      Since 1990, the LADWP has taken a leadership role in
      improving and maintaining L.A.'s urban forest and
      educating the community about the environmental
      importance of trees and other renewable resources.
      From planting seedlings in the mountains of Southern
      California to cooling 82 school campuses across Los
      Angeles through its Cool Schools tree-planting
      program, LADWP has been a consistent advocate of
      energy efficient technologies to promote cleaner air
      and a greener L.A.

      "This program demonstrates the ease by which all of us
      can promote energy efficiency and improve the
      aesthetics of our neighborhoods," said Angelina
      Galiteva, director of strategic planning for the
      LADWP. "We have seen the energy-savings benefits of
      planting trees at schools. This program will deliver
      the same results for our customers, while improving
      air quality, property values and community pride."

      As LADWP has proven with its Cool Schools program in
      recent years, the benefits of planting trees can be
      extensive. Among them:

      Shade trees that are strategically planted provide
      energy efficiency benefits associated with reduced air
      conditioning needs, which can result in a savings of
      up to 20 percent in electricity costs according to
      research performed by the U.S. Department of Energy's
      Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory and the U.S. Forest
      Service.

      Walls shaded by trees are generally 15 degrees cooler
      than unshaded walls, so less energy is needed to keep
      the building cool.

      Direct shade on a roof can make an attic 20 to 40
      degrees cooler on hot, sunny days, so less energy is
      needed to keep the building cool.

      An outside air-conditioning unit located in a shady
      spot can operate 5% to 10% more efficiently than an
      unshaded unit.

      By trapping and holding up to 50 gallons of water
      each, trees reduce the storm-water runoff that causes
      flooding and pollutes the ocean.

      More details about the "Trees for a Green L.A."
      program and how residents can get involved will be
      forthcoming.

      CONTACT FOR NEWS MEDIA: Walter Zeisl, Los Angeles
      Department of Water and Power, phone: (213) 367-1342,
      (213) 367-3227 [after regular business hours], e-mail:
      wzeisl@...

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/