Re: [EchoElysianNCForum] Please help save this building

  • William Nettles
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
      Re: [EchoElysianNCForum] Please help save this building I do know that Bishop Bruno's Church and Four Square Gospel are interested, and have been interested in properties in the area for low income housing. Maybe they should be approached with regards historical importance. Low income housing and historical preservation are not incompatable.

      ---William Nettles

      nettles@...
      Nettles Photo / Imaging Site  http://www.wgn.net/~nettles

      From: perpetua98@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:44:14 EDT
      To: undisclosed-recipients:;
      Subject: [EchoElysianNCForum] Please help save this building

      Please make a call or write a letter !!!
      >From the next issue of the Echo Park Historical Society:
      Battle rages on over Echo Park 4-plex

      The fight to preserve 1120 Echo Park Ave. is not over yet.  After six months
      of twists and turns, the fate of this 1917 Craftsman-era apartment house is
      still up in the air.

      The federal Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD) stunned Echo Park
      activists in late June by agreeing to sell the 4-unit house facing Echo Park
      Lake to a nonprofit developer for $95,000.  For months, Echo Park residents
      had lobbied HUD and the office of Councilman Mike Hernandez to set aside
      demolition plans and put the property up for sale.  The lobbying campaign
      received excellent coverage from the

      LA Independent and led to an announcement from Hernandez' office that the
      property would be listed on the Web site of HUD's real estate arm, Golden
      Feather.  Preservationists scanned the Web site for weeks searching for a
      listing.  Instead, the property was put on a separate nonprofit-only Web
      site.  Officials with Hernandez and Congressman Xavier Becerra say an entity
      called Neighborhood Preservation Inc. made the winning offer.

      The EPHS has no way of knowing whether the buyer intends to tear down the
      property.  One distinct possibility is that the company could demolish it and
      build a much larger project on two adjacent vacant lots.  Neither Becerra nor
      Hernandez' office has been willing to provide a contact name or number for
      the developer -- or confirm whether the building will be saved or razed.

      This beautiful building has nearly all of the original built-ins, wainscoting
      and double-hung windows.  Though it has structural problems, private buyers
      have already expressed interest in purchasing it.  Cavalier treatment of this
      property could also set a precedent for many other HUD-owned houses in Echo
      Park, including another apartment building

      on Lemoyne Street.

      Let our local officials know that preservation is still a priority.

      Contract Becerra at 1910 Sunset Blvd, LA 90026 or (213)483-1425

      Councilman Ed Reyes, Los Angeles City Hall, 200 N Spring St, LA 90012,
      (213)485.3451

      Councilman Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles City Hall, 200 N. Spring St, Room 410,
      LA 90012  (213) 473-7013.

      Thank you in advance for your vigilance!

      From: devildogranch <devildogranch@...>
      Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 08:03:26 -0700
      To: "citrone, carole" <perpetua98@...>, "cappos, connie" <condrew@...>
      Subject: Fw: Newsletter

      this is a preview of a story we'll be running in the EPHS newsletter - will
      be at the printers tomorrow & hit the streets by the end of next week.

               dogs rule!
      www.devildogranch.com