Death of Officer Gene Colello

  • William Nettles
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2001
      Death of Officer Gene Colello Rampart LAPD officer Gene Colello was in Sunday June 24 2001 LATimes. He was in Community Relations and was a good friend of Echo Park and our Community Based Policing. The Times reported that he killed his ex-girlfriend's boyfriend and then himself.
      Colello was one of the Rampart Cops I think we all worried would be hurt by the CRASH Scandal. Not because they'd done something wrong but because of proximity. Instead he seems to have seccumbed to the other deseases common to police officers: stress, depression and suicide.

      I think we would do well to reflect on Officer Colello's contributions and those of his colleagues and write a note of regret to the officers of Rampart Division. We lost Collelo twice, first when he committed murder and second when he committed suicide. I think too as a city and as citizens we fail our cops when we ignore the extreme pressures they work under and the lack of support they all too often feel. Would that  politicians, lawyers,  bankers and officers of corporations be scrutinized as closely as our police officers. . . .

      Captain Michel Moore
      LAPD-Rampart Community Police Station
      2710 West Temple Street

      ---William Nettles