Echo Park

  • pbspeedo
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
      Well, folks, it looks like a whole other group is going to have to learn
      what happens when some special interest group decides it wants a piece of
      our park. It won't happen as long as we are all on the same page. Please
      help leave our park to the people of the city and not every fool who wants a
      piece of it. We fought it once and won against a powerful group and this
      group can't possibly have the legs the other group had. Uh, shouldn't we let
      Silverlake know that the people in the tortillaria can read and might be as
      offended as I was?
    • Tim & Madalyn
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
        I don't even think E S lived in Echo Park, he lived in Silver Lake.
        On Wednesday, February 25, 2004, at 02:12 PM, pbspeedo wrote:

        > Well, folks, it looks like a whole other group is going to have to
        > learn
        > what happens when some special interest group decides it wants a piece
        > of
        > our park. It won't happen as long as we are all on the same page.
        > Please
        > help leave our park to the people of the city and not every fool who
        > wants a
        > piece of it. We fought it once and won against a powerful group and
        > this
        > group can't possibly have the legs the other group had. Uh, shouldn't
        > we let
        > Silverlake know that the people in the tortillaria can read and might
        > be as
        > offended as I was?

        > Post message: EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: EchoElysianNCForum-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scott Fajack
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
          He lived on the 1500 block of Lemoyne.

          M. Scott Fajack

        • markybarsh@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
            I do not know who this song writer is--never heard of him.  Has he ever participated in any efforts to improve the park or the nieghborhood???
            Before any movement can be made toward a monument to him in Echo Park the request has to be brought the the Park Advisory Board.  If someone would like a tree planted in his honor with a small plague on it that might be appropriate.  The Commitee to Save Elysian Park has a yearly tree planting.  Friends, ect. can pay for a tree to be planted and a tribute can be made for a person.
            If we are going to name parts of the park for people I can think of a few dozen people in the area who have contributed time and effort to improve the park.
            suzanne
          • pbspeedo

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 26, 2004
                I read in the LA Times that he lived next to the Sound Solutions store
                where the shrine is. Of course, they also identified the store as being
                in Echo Park.

              • markybarsh@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 26, 2004
                  Thats what happens when one does not watch their p's and q's
                • mobla1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 20, 2005
                    the Lake, I mean. Go see our Chinese Wingnuts, Pterocarya. One is a medium size tree across from the Temple, and when you look up into the canopy you will see hanging strings of what look like propellers. Look around--there are 5 of them around the lake. Can you find them all?

                    While you are there, visit our Cow Itch Tree, Lagunaria pattersonii, which is at the west (north?) end of the lake, right at the lake edge. Thousands (billions and billions?) of lavendar flowers on the tree right now. When they form their seed pods, the pods can be spray painted gold and silver for holiday decorations. (Recycle!) There is another one as a street tree off Sunset in Silver Lake, east (south?) of Silver Lake Blvd.

                    Michael O'Brien
                  • markybarsh@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
                      I did write about the Lake at the start of the controversy but I accidentally deleted it and did not have the time to re do it. so-------------- much has been covered.  I am a member of the PAB board--we have been a little slow because to the change over of the Director and low membership.  Andrew Kasden, the new Director is a young and dedicated person.
                      He now has quite a big job ahead of him as the recreation center will be closed for many months and he has had to find other facilities to house the various activities.  Everybody has been very generous in letting out their facilities,  We will continue to meet --- the next meeting is July 31st. -- we will post the time and place. Maybe you will consider joining.
                      Any way come to a meeting.
                      The only way to get action regarding the problems that have been raised it to badger your elected officials -  Mr. Garcetti or Mr. Reyes and the police.  We did at one time have a patrol that covered the park and the surrounding streets with an officer from Rampart and Northeast we (the various organizations in the neighborhood) have tried many times to let the powers that be know how important this is.  The Senior Lead Officers from Rampart and Northeast do walk Sunset Blvd. when they can but they do not cover the park.
                      Sundays is a bad day at the park - there is much trash from vendors and people in general.
                      The Dream Center does a very good job of cleaning up during the week -- they also clean surrounding streets.
                      WE HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE THINGS WORK
                      suzanne

                    • Gloria Sohacki
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 12, 2008

                        Yes,Barbara, it does sort of defeat the purpose but the sprinklers were only on in the area where the
                        vendors spread their wares.  The sprinklers worked on Sunday but does anyone know what was going on in
                        the park on Friday evening.  When I was coming home from TAIX I saw about 200 people on bicycles
                        all meeting together on the Echo Park side by the boats.  The sprinklers were going full blast.  They were still there at 2:30 a.m.
                        I know they ride every weekend but I wonder why they all congregated in the Park.  They were quiet, and from what I could see
                        they were just visiting with each other.  My first thought when I saw them was why are they standing in the sprinklers.
                        There were bicycles all over the place.

                        Gloria

                      • Esther
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 12, 2008
                          I did a search on line, and found that there is a group called "Midnight Ridazz", and they post all sorts of group bicycle rides. It seems like they may have a mailing address or some such in Echo Park. I can't find anything for Friday the 9th in Echo Park on their calendar, but If you wanted to get more info., I guess you could contact them. Here is the link:

                          http://midnightridazz.com/events.php

                          Esther

                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 12, 2008
                            Ridazz has a regular bike ride that starts in Echo Park the second Fri of each month, it may have ended up there again too.

                            It might have been Ridazz, here's another url for it:

                            This is part of an article in the NY Times:

                            Across the country, in Los Angeles, a city as storied for its traffic as for its tinsel, bicycles take over the boulevards one night a month. The Midnight Ridazz was started by a woman who found night cycling exhilarating and invited others along. Now as many as 800 show up on the second Friday of each month for themed rides through the streets of Los Angeles. Prom Night brings out tuxedo-clad cyclists; the Dead Celebrities tour takes riders to sites of the deaths of famous people including Biggie Smalls and Janis Joplin. The Strip Club ride's focus is obvious.

                            Each ride's theme is announced several days in advance by e-mail (a popular way to get on the list is through Yahoo Groups) and flyers, but the actual route is kept secret until the beginning of the ride; the cyclists always meet at Echo Park and Sunset Boulevard at 9:30 p.m. "L.A. was hungry for something like this," said Marisa Bell, one of the founders. "The streets are empty, and the world is our oyster."

                            Malcolm Schenot (323) 244-9906

                            Echo Park, Los Angeles

                          • pbspeedo@sbcglobal.net

                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 12, 2008
                                One likes to know what's going on...

                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 12, 2008
                                  As far as I'm concerned, the only thing wrong here is calling yourself "Midnight Ridazz".

                                  --- In EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com, "pbspeedo@..." <pbspeedo@...> wrote:

                                  > I don't understand. Are the bicyclists doing something wrong? Or was it just a mere
                                  question?

                                  > Malcolm Schenot <rmschenot@...> wrote:
                                  > Ridazz has a regular bike ride that starts in Echo Park the second Fri of each month, it
                                  may have ended up there again too.

                                  > It might have been Ridazz, here's another url for it:
                                  > http://losangeles.metromix.com/events/social_hobby_clubs/midnight-ridazz-echo-
                                  park/109009/content

                                  > This is part of an article in the NY Times:
                                  >
                                  > Across the country, in Los Angeles, a city as storied for its traffic as for its tinsel,
                                  bicycles take over the boulevards one night a month. The Midnight Ridazz was started by
                                  a woman who found night cycling exhilarating and invited others along. Now as many as
                                  800 show up on the second Friday of each month for themed rides through the streets of
                                  Los Angeles. Prom Night brings out tuxedo-clad cyclists; the Dead Celebrities tour takes
                                  riders to sites of the deaths of famous people including Biggie Smalls and Janis Joplin. The
                                  Strip Club ride's focus is obvious.
                                  > Each ride's theme is announced several days in advance by e-mail (a popular way to
                                  get on the list is through Yahoo Groups) and flyers, but the actual route is kept secret
                                  until the beginning of the ride; the cyclists always meet at Echo Park and Sunset Boulevard
                                  at 9:30 p.m. "L.A. was hungry for something like this," said Marisa Bell, one of the
                                  founders. "The streets are empty, and the world is our oyster."

                                  > ---------------------------------
                                  >
                                  > Malcolm Schenot (323) 244-9906
                                  > Echo Park, Los Angeles
                                  >
                                  > ---------------------------------

                                • Michael obrien
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 28, 2009
                                    by the Lake, I mean. At the southeast corner, just as you go into the park, there is a tall tree with orange flowers. That's the Silk Oak, Grevillea robusta. It has nothing to do with silk, and is not remotely related to oaks. Go figure. It's a good tree for open spaces, because it tends to be brittle and drop limbs. Not for the average yard. Drought tolerant. You can see them along the freeways.

                                    Michael O'Brien

                                  • emmarosenthal
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 29, 2009
                                      the mulberry is the tree the silk worm eats to spin silk,no?

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 29, 2009
                                        It sure it -- I used to teach first grade and with one of those
                                        classes did raise silk worm (eggs provided by the County Dept. of
                                        Eduction) - and in the caterpillar stage they do eat constantly!!
                                        The grounds had mulberry trees. When they began to spin the cocoons
                                        (the silk), the silence was deafening after all that consumption, all
                                        very noisy.. isa
                                        --
                                      • markybarsh@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 15, 2010
                                          The city is aware of the problem and it is being worked on----in a month or so

                                          Suzanne
                                        • Lisa
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 16, 2011
                                            It's an odd question, I know, but does anyone know the approximate population of Echo Park? Historical Society?
                                          • Michael obrien
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 16, 2011
                                              define "Echo Park"..........

                                              Michael O'Brien

                                              It's an odd question, I know, but does anyone know the approximate population of Echo Park? Historical Society?

                                            • cp00733
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 17, 2011
                                                Last time i checked census data it was around 50-55,000.

                                                cp

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 17, 2011
                                                  Thanks!

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 19, 2011
                                                    Let's start with 90026, as the census likely does.

                                                    On Jul 16, 2011, at 4:07 PM, Michael obrien <mobla26@...> wrote:

                                                    define "Echo Park"..........

                                                    Michael O'Brien

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 19, 2011
                                                      But there are sections of Echo Park in 90012 (Elysian Park)and 90039.

                                                      --
                                                    • Annalisa Magnusson
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 16, 2013
                                                        Will the goose come back to the park?
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jun 17, 2013
                                                          For safety, no - will remain a guest of the zoo and be in the Children's Zoo.  Dominic, who has he relationship with the remarkable animal, visit him every day.

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jun 17, 2013
                                                            Thanks, Isa. I'm glad to here about him.