Cell phone Coverage!

  • Rhonda Anjelly
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 19, 2014
      Hi All!

      I was wondering what the cell phone reception and service is like for those of you living near Elysian Park.  My friend is moving into a place on Douglas and wanted to know what the best provider was for that area.

      I live in Angelino Heights, and my service stinks.  I have Verizon.  My husband has AT & T and his used to be awful but in the past few months its been great.

      Does anyone know anything about Sprint coverage around Elysian and Douglas? Or any of the other carriers??

      Also if anyone has input for Angelino Heights, that would be great too.  I hate my Verizon.

      Thanks so much!!!

      Best,
      Rhonda

    • Michael obrien

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 19, 2014
          I changed to TMobile and get terrific service from my home on Lemoyne.  I don't know if that holds  up near the park?

          Good luck,

          Joanne Payne

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
            My partner and I both have Sprint, and we get terrible service on Lake Shore near the hospital. In fact, we usually have service problems extending closer to Echo Park Ave and pockets around the hills. He and I always see neighbors pacing the sidewalk trying to get better reception :(

            We once called Sprint when we were having service issues in West EP, and they were able to attribute it to a faulty tower, so...it sometimes can be an easy fix if you call your provider!
          • r2r2dogs3
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
              Hi Rhonda,
              We live on Lilac off Douglas and have AT&T (wireless, home phone, DSL).  Dealing with them has been a nightmare (to say the least) BUT our cell phone reception is pretty great...

              At Masa we also have AT&T (they say Uverse but it's DSL) but it is so terrible that we got a dual wan router to accommodate 2 internet connections (Beam Wireless connected to our cell phone plan and DSL) AND on top of that we also have Time Warner cable in case AT&T completely implodes so that we have an internet connection to run our POS Software and are able to process orders and credit cards.  Last Valentine's Day AT&T was completely out and all of the businesses on the South side of the street from us to Beaudry had no internet for about 6 hours during the dinner rush.  We were all miserable.

              An AT&T rep told me that we will never have great internet reception here because we are too far away from whatever the source is.  Crazy - since we live in a major city and not out in the desert somewhere!

              All my best,
              Rhonda (the "other Rhonda" from Lilac & Masa)  : )

            • Esther
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
                And in the desert they have Verizon Fios which gives some amazing internet speeds. Stupid AT&T.

                "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - MLK, Jr.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
                  There will never be good DSL service in EP (FIOS is on DSL lines) because of the huge radio towers up Glendale Blvd. Their broadcast interferes with land-line telephone wires. I have a mechanical voice message box that I can hear the disc jockeys on when I'm listening to messages. Cable is its own expense & problems, We've had much discussion on this forum about this over the last 10 years.
                  The radio broadcast doesn't affect cell phone service, the hills do. Cell service--the best thing to do is go to the place you intend to live and see if your service works there. It's all about what Michael said. Each service has towers that beam line of sight, so every address and every room at that address will have its own characteristics.
                  If you have friends with other services it's best to get them to check their service where it's important to you because that's the only way to actually know. One room in a house could be a dead zone and another room or apt could get decent service.

                  Malcolm Schenot
                  Echo Park, Los Angeles

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
                    Rhonda,
                    I think this all part of a scheme AT&T has to ruin EP as a "Hipster Heaven". Imagine having to explain what a landline, rotary dial phone, or modem is to recent EP arrivals.
                    Oh, what a terrible thought!!!!!!!
                    Noel

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
                        Hi Noel!
                        I only have rotary dial telephones in my house.  That's it.  And an old push button at Masa so when the power goes out we can still answer the phone and make calls.

                        If we ever have an earthquake / loss of power for an extended period - the rotary phones will work and you and Susie are welcome to come over and use mine. : )  You will of course have to know people's phone numbers - which no one does anymore...

                        : )

                        Rhonda (the Masa one)
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
                          Noel.
                          I do it all the time. Welcome to my world.
                          Malcolm

                          Malcolm Schenot
                          Echo Park, Los Angeles

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 20, 2014
                            Thanks Rhonda, but we've kept a rotary for the moment that other reliable provider in the neighborhood, DWP, removes our power supply!!!!
                            See you during the anniversary celebrations.