Really big fish at the lake

  • Judith Raskin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2014
      As of about 12:00 noon today (Tuesday) there was an enormous fish at the north end of the lake (near viewing area).  It's about 2-3 feet long, bright orange with some black markings towards the tail, white fins and tail.  It looks like a tropical fish, clearly not an Echo Park Lake native.  Can someone identify it?

      Adam and Christine -- should this fish be removed  from the lake?  Its mouth is large enough to devour the small fish currently in the lake and possibly the grebe chicks that has only recently been hatched.

      Judy Raskin
    • Rhonda Anjelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2014
        that doesn't sound like anything that would be echo park native, agreed!! how would it have gotten in there?  Someone dropped it in?  I am worried if its not a part of the wetlands and part of the ecosystem that the lake naturally created on it's own, that it will disrupt it.  i echo your same worries judy!

        best,
        rhonda

        --

        www.blueearthbound.com
      • Rhonda Anjelly

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 13, 2014
              Wednesday, August 13 --

              According to some of the workers at the lake (actually, in the lake cleaning it up) there are at least two koi fish in there.  I don't know the size of koi and I forgot to ask.

              Judy Raskin

              http://www.blueearthbound.com/

              --

              http://www.blueearthbound.com/

            • Judith Hansen
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 14, 2014
                Sounds like some signage (3 languages) should be posted saying something like, "Please don't take anything or add anything to our lake.
                It is very delicate and precious to us. Thank you. "

                I remember some years ago when we dreamed of making a small, simple educational museum at the Boathouse.
                If it doesn't happen in the schools and at home, there is little understanding of the Lake's fragility.

              • pbspeedo@sbcglobal.net

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 15, 2014
                    sounds like a koi.  they are harmless and vegetarians---leave it alone.

                    mike kogan