remodeling

  • Judith Raskin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2014
      Before I get started on a remodeling project at my house, I need the answers to some questions.  Maybe someone here can share their experiences or knowledge.

      I have a free standing washer and dryer that I want to replace, but I want to get these units removed before work begins so I can make some adjustments to the area they are located in.  Has anyone used any of the junk removal services (for example, getjunk.com?) Can their workers disconnect the water and venting connections or does it have to be done by a plumber first?

      I want to get a new slide in dishwasher.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

      I want to replace my downdraft electric range with a new one.  Seems only Jenn-Air is making downdraft models these days, and most of theirs are gas.  If I have to put in a gas line, do I need a plumber or a hvac technician or what?

      THanks for your help.  -- Judy Raskin
    • Jennifer Deines
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2014
        My husband does this kind of work and has a large truck for removal of junk, appliances or construction demolition.  He remove and disconnect everything and take it away.  This does not have to be done by a plumber.  Laying a gas line is simple, and if you are going to have plumbers there anyway, you can ask them to lay a line for you.  They just add it on to the existing line.

        When we remodeled our Victorian we put in a fisher paykel dish drawer set.  It is very quiet and has slide out drAwers, which are great for doing small loads.  The faces of the drawers can be made to match your cabinetry if you choose that model.  They look lovely, and dishes come out nice and clean.  My husband installed the dish drawers as well, even though he's not a plumber, just a general handyman/builder.  It wasn't too complex.

        Contact me privately if you want to have him move your laundry set out.

        Thx!  Jennifer

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • Carol Cetrone
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2014
          hi Judy,
          I have not used junk removal services but here's what I know...
          you do not need a plumber to disconnect your washer and dryer, it's as simple (and basically the same)
          as turning off your garden hose (only you have 2, a hot and cold).  The drain hose should just lift out of your
          drain pipe.  The vent is almost as easy, it's just a hole in the wall with venting attached, all you need to
          do is detach it and temporarily seal up the hole with duct tape so critters don't get in.  Unplug all electricity
          first, of course, just in case.

          I just got a new Frigidaire dishwasher and I don't like it at all, my old Maytag was much better..

          You DO need a licensed plumber to add a gas line, it's not a big deal especially if it's near another existing
          gas line

          good luck,
          Carol