Fwd: kwazinkrumah@aol.com recommends Dodgers found partly responsible in fan beating

  • kwazi2005
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2014
    • pbspeedo@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2014
        Will it help with arguments regarding the neighborhood?

      • kwazi2005
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
          It seems to me that the fact that the Dodgers organization was found to be at least partially liable for the damages suffered by someone who was the victim of the actions of some of the fans who attended one of their games should make it easier for local residents to raise issues of liability in regard to the on-going damage inflicted by fans who attend their games on our neighborhoods ---  and, if not in the courts, then certainly in the court of public opinion.

          --- Kwazi Nkrumah, GEPENC President

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
            How do we begin?

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
              As I've said a number of times, in my opinion the best place to start would be downtown at City Hall. I believe that community residents and leaders of our Neighborhood Council should appear at a regular City Council meeting and put our issues and concerns before the entire City Council. This can be done during public comment period. We should call on the Mayor to convene a special meeting between himself, the Dodgers Organization and our neighborhood residents to resolve these issues. Even though some such meetings have been taking place, they've been largely out of the public eye, and with only limited commitment thus far -- from either the City or the Dodgers --- to actually meeting the long-standing concerns of community residents. Community residents going public in this way could change that dynamic. The timing is right for it: remember the public impact that media coverage had when Scott Avenue Gate was first reopened. (Unfortunately, that only led to a series of  meetings that seem more designed to placate this community than actually solve many of the basic problems we have, thus far, in spite of sincere efforts by our own City Council reps and others.)

              At the first meeting that I organized  on behalf of our neighborhood council held on these issues, back on April 10th, quite a few people expressed support for the possibility of pursuing a class action suit on behalf of community residents. It seems to me that both the City and the Dodgers would have to be the defendants in such a suit, and that the potential damages they would have to pay to this entire community would be considerably greater than what Bryan Stow was just awarded by the courts yesterday. (If I remember correctly, there were approximately 20 different ways that Echo Park residents identified that the Dodgers and the City were being negligent or openly violative of community residents on a fairly broad scale at that meeting. In a serious class action case that could add up --- especially with strong public support behind it.) Again, I believe the ruling in the Stow case may have just opened up new doors for problem-solving for Echo Park residents.

              ---  Kwazi Nkrumah, GEPENC President.

              It seems to me that the fact that the Dodgers organization was found to be at least partially liable for the damages suffered by someone who was the victim of the actions of some of the fans who attended one of their games should make it easier for local residents to raise issues of liability in regard to the on-going damage inflicted by fans who attend their games on our neighborhoods ---  and, if not in the courts, then certainly in the court of public opinion.

              --- Kwazi Nkrumah, GEPENC President

              Will it help with arguments regarding the neighborhood?

            • Lisa Magnusson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
                Are you Peter Pan? Everything's a fairy tale. Remember vending machines? Your idea could just get you hurt. Develop the park? Are you nuts? Holy shit.

                Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
                      There will always be different ideas about what works best in various circumstances. --- K. N.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 10, 2014
                        These messages are back and forth on the community council  Kwazi is the new president and is extremely polite, thought out, and smart.

                         All kinds of people are starting to give him shit on line in the forum.

                        I don't exactly understand the dynamics of what is going on.

                        The discussion below is about suing the LA Dodgers for noise and overcrowding..

                         That is what the people involved in the council are striving for and Kwazi is more careful.