Perpetual Internet debacle

  • towerfilms@att.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 29, 2013
      I know this question has been popping up often but I am at my wits end and cannot afford a T1 line. I am in the part of echo park without UVerse with ATT (no fiber optic being laid here-multiple calls to ATT get nowhere-they have no plans to fiber optic us) and the one router they made that is the only one that works in this neck of woods they have stopped making. As they die every year this also can't go on. Called DISH they also offer no plans... so no fiber optic, nor reliable internet provider...what are people doing? I am at Effie and Lemoyne at base of hill....does anyone have a good provider that is relatively fast. Does Time Warner work for anyone? Dread returning to them...any suggestions? Thanks
    • Steve Moses
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 29, 2013
        We dropped AT&T a year ago and went with Time Warner for Internet and phone only. With Dish for TV and refuse to go back to cable for TV.
        Time Warner's cable has been very good, and all the speed tests I've run, it's definitely faster than AT&T was, and we did have their fiber optic, but because of their half reared way of installing we could only get 6 megs, when they quoted 12 and couldn't produce.

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 29, 2013
          I gave up a long time ago and just pay Time Warner through the nose.

          Malcolm Schenot
          Echo Park, Los Angeles

        • pbspeedo@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 29, 2013
            That makes two of us. It's awful, but it beats the hell out of AT&T.

            On Dec 29, 2013, at 9:54 PM, Malcolm Schenot <rmschenot@...> wrote:

            I gave up a long time ago and just pay Time Warner through the nose.

            Malcolm Schenot
            Echo Park, Los Angeles

            On Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:00 PM, Steve Moses <catman720@...> wrote:

            We dropped AT&T a year ago and went with Time Warner for Internet and phone only. With Dish for TV and refuse to go back to cable for TV.
            Time Warner's cable has been very good, and all the speed tests I've run, it's definitely faster than AT&T was, and we did have their fiber optic, but because of their half reared way of installing we could only get 6 megs, when they quoted 12 and couldn't produce.

            --- In EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com, "towerfilms@..." <towerfilms@...> wrote:

            > I know this question has been popping up often but I am at my wits end and cannot afford a T1 line. I am in the part of echo park without UVerse with ATT (no fiber optic being laid here-multiple calls to ATT get nowhere-they have no plans to fiber optic us) and the one router they made that is the only one that works in this neck of woods they have stopped making. As they die every year this also can't go on. Called DISH they also offer no plans... so no fiber optic, nor reliable internet provider...what are people doing? I am at Effie and Lemoyne at base of hill....does anyone have a good provider that is relatively fast. Does Time Warner work for anyone? Dread returning to them...any suggestions? Thanks

          • Esther
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 30, 2013
              You know, it would be great to get Mitch O'Farrell on board to help Echo Park residents with this. The area has gentrified and with that comes a fair amount of people who work from home and need fast internet speeds, not just for downloading, but for uploading as well. We need affordable internet that can accommodate the work that industry people and entrepeneurs have to be able to perform their jobs. We have a client who has FIOS and gets 3 times our speed for about 1/3 of the cost, I think. I'd have to look it up again, but when I was comparing numbers, that's what I think it was.

              I don't know what  person is making these decisions at AT&T, but if they're going to keep Verizon out, then they need to get us Uverse. The T-1 lines are a ridiculous option.

              "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - MLK, Jr.

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 31, 2013
                It's not just AT&T. It's also the radio station near Glendale that broadcasts so strongly it interferes with the telephone lines. Cable lines and cell phone transmissions are not affected because they respond to different frequencies. This was all explained to me about 8 years ago by an installer. He said AT&T was well aware of the problem and he even had a name for the kind of neighborhood this was that had this kind of problem, but alas I can't remember that part. So even if the telephone transmission lines are upgraded, the problem would still exist on the level of the house wires, which are usually pretty old. If fiber optic lines are extended right into the house and hooked up to the modem, then presumably the problem would go away. I don't know if that's done. Where do the FIOS lines stop?
                Malcolm

                Malcolm Schenot
                Echo Park, Los Angeles

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 31, 2013
                  Oh, and Verizon couldn't fix the problem unless they put in new wires, which I imagine is unlikely.

                  Malcolm Schenot
                  Echo Park, Los Angeles

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2014

                    I think that getting this issue to be discussed in the City Council is good move for the city, and would doubtlessly improve our internet connectivity in the long run. There are issues with wiring in the neighborhood, but the entire idea of FIOS is that Verizon is running the 'last mile' fiber optic runs to get houses connected and provide an alternative to DSL and other older technologies. AT&T has a monopoly on our neighborhood for no reasons I cannot understand. Competition will help us get answers and lead to better service.

                    Is this a petition thing? Does anyone have more direct access to O'Farrell?

                    Aris

                  • Esther
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 2, 2014
                      I think members of the community can get a sit down meeting with their council member. If we can gather the data with the different speeds and prices and have enough people show up to demonstrate that this is a big concern for the community, then that would be the way to go to get the issue in front of Mitch O'Farrell.

                      Esther

                      "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - MLK, Jr.

                      I think that getting this issue to be discussed in the City Council is good move for the city, and would doubtlessly improve our internet connectivity in the long run. There are issues with wiring in the neighborhood, but the entire idea of FIOS is that Verizon is running the 'last mile' fiber optic runs to get houses connected and provide an alternative to DSL and other older technologies. AT&T has a monopoly on our neighborhood for no reasons I cannot understand. Competition will help us get answers and lead to better service.

                      Is this a petition thing? Does anyone have more direct access to O'Farrell?

                      Aris

                    • Michael obrien
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 2, 2014
                        actually, this is an issue for the State, as it regulates phone and cable companies. the City has no authority.

                        Michael O'Brien

                        On Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:25 PM, Esther <nest7c@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • suderburg erika
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 3, 2014
                          I wanted to thank everyone for all their input on this matter-I am thrilled not to be alone on this issue even though there does not seem to be quick answer- I too wonder if this as a state and or city issue which can be taken up formally and how this would be done.  I will start calling and see what I find out...and report back. If anyone else can do this as well... let us meet up here and see what the next step is? We shouldn't be held hostage to ATT and wireless should be a provided FREE city service as it is in may other countries (EU) ( I know I know... utopia calling) I have also heard about communities setting up guerilla wi-fi to combat the hostage situation. I look forward to hearing what people can find out about what the next step is. Thanks!

                        • arisblevins
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 3, 2014

                            Great to know.

                            Michael, in your opinion, would it be wise to have O'Farrell / Cedillo reach out to Jimmy Gomez / Kevin De Leon or is that simply going to muck up the process?

                            Edith, I can set up an online (ironic?) survey for folks to fill out to collect this info.

                            I would think the information we need is:

                            Street Address (or at least block number and street - 1400 block carroll avenue)

                            ISP

                            Advertised Speed (how fast it is supposed to go)

                            Actual Speed

                            Price/month

                            Have you tried other ISPs?

                            Who and were they any better?

                            Does this seem to cover the data?

                            Aris

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 3, 2014
                              I think WiFi is a reasonable strategy, since that's the way the future is shaping up anyway.
                              All world-class cities have it or should have it on their agenda. Developing countries haven't even bothered laying wires for many years. It's cheaper to go wireless if you have no infrastructure, or to upgrade an aging wired infrastructure.

                              Malcolm Schenot
                              Echo Park, Los Angeles

                              On Friday, January 3, 2014 10:53 AM, "arisblevins@..." <arisblevins@...> wrote:

                              Great to know.

                              Michael, in your opinion, would it be wise to have O'Farrell / Cedillo reach out to Jimmy Gomez / Kevin De Leon or is that simply going to muck up the process?

                              Edith, I can set up an online (ironic?) survey for folks to fill out to collect this info.

                              I would think the information we need is:
                              Street Address (or at least block number and street - 1400 block carroll avenue)
                              ISP
                              Advertised Speed (how fast it is supposed to go)
                              Actual Speed
                              Price/month
                              Have you tried other ISPs?
                              Who and were they any better?

                              Does this seem to cover the data?

                              Aris

                            • Adam Bass
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 6, 2014
                                Hi all -

                                I think that Michael O'Brien is right about really needing to focus on state regulators.  However, to the question about more direct access to the Councilmember O'Farrell's office, please take note of my contact information.  I'm Councilmember O'Farrell's Field Deputy for Elysian Valley, Echo Park and Glassell Park. Feel free to reach out to me directly at any time.

                                Adam Bass
                                323.957.4542

                                Thanks,

                                Adam

                                  Adam G. Bass
                                  Field Deputy (Echo Park, Elysian Valley, Glassell Park)

                                  Office of Councilmember Mitch O'Farrell
                                  5500 Hollywood Blvd., 4th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90028
                                  (323) 957-4500  www.cd13.org

                                Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
                              • hometown9
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 7, 2014

                                  At the end of the day it's a supply and demand issue.  If enough customers clamor for it the companies should respond.  I was told that point-blank by the TWC regional director when my terrible TWC internet kept (and continues) going out.  I had better dial-up in college 10 years ago.  We live in the 2nd largest city in the richest country in the world!

                                  My problem (1800 block of Preston) was too much usage on one of the cable blades.  Even though I was paying for 50 Mb/sec and barely getting 3 (sometimes as low as .4...dial-up speeds), he said more people need to make it an issue before they do anything about it.  ATT management told me the same thing with UVerse - enough people make the requests they will lay the lines.  At least right now they have no financial incentive.  I also think they don't understand how the needs of the community have changed in the past 5 years with many folks requiring reliable, high-speed access not just for personal but for business.

                                • Tad Yenawine
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 7, 2014
                                    Hello All,
                                    I can say from personal experience, if you would like to address an issue to Councilman O'Farrell's office, Adam Bass is very responsive.  I only wish other council members had field deputies as conscientious.
                                    Happy new year!
                                    Tad

                                    --
                                    Tad Yenawine
                                    VTS/Visual Understanding in Education

                                    “Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.”  EJ Potter, RIP 2012
                                  • Michael obrien

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 7, 2014

                                        Thanks Adam, we'll certainly be reaching out at multiple levels once our ducks are in a row.

                                        @hometown9, I have no experience with TWC, but ATT has told me flat out that there are no plans at this time to actually lay the wires for real UVerse service. I technically have Uverse on Carroll Avenue, but in fact it is simply rebranded 6mb DSL.

                                        I think there are two discussions being conflated into one in this thread.

                                        One is the issue of options for internet service. I feel that having only one cable company and one telephone company as options for internet is limiting the speed we can get, limiting the quality of service and raising the price for those services.

                                        Another issue that has been brought up is internet access in general, with city provided wi-fi as a solution. This is also an issue in Los Angeles, and one that needs to be addressed, but is quite different. City wi-fi will likely not be top speed and will require some city wide coordination to achieve. I will say that our neighborhood (and any of the hilly hoods) pose serious technical hurdles to large scale wi-fi rollouts, but that is not a reason not to try.

                                        Are folks that are interested in city wi-fi also concerned about internet service quality?

                                        Aris

                                      • suzigaukroger
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 12, 2014
                                          An update.
                                          On Saturday I received a phone call from AT&T, asking if I wanted to upgrade to fiber-optic service for my inter-net. I, of course, replied that I'd be ecstatic, and was informed that I'd be upgraded on Jan. 16th, after receiving my new modem, via UPS.
                                          I double checked this morning, because I was a little skeptical that they'd be able to install the new cable, from the nearest sub-station to my house on Sargent Place.
                                          I was "reliably" informed that this would be no problem.
                                          I wait, with baited breath, for AT&T to act with this stunning alacrity, and will post the forum when the miracle occurs!!!
                                          Noel

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 12, 2014
                                            They are switching everyone to fiber optic, but you won't get anything better than what you had with DSL.
                                            As I said, they promised 12 megs, and when they delivered the fiber, sent 3 techs to tell me I could only have 6.
                                            They have not wired for TV and phone. I was told when they do the internet would be faster.
                                            When I cancelled AT&T, I said call me when U-Verse shows up and I'll take you back. Good luck.