Re: [EchoElysianNCForum] Re: Glaring Lack of Grafitti on Echo Park Ave

  • dawn tlusty
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 18, 2013
      exp and ahts  are still tagging regularly laguna ave on a daily basis  .  Right in front of the lake.  Last night the stairs were tagged again by AHTS in RED. Last Week  EXP tagged in blue the walls on the property next to the stairs.

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 18, 2013
        Keep up the good work Christine. Thanks for being on top of it.

        ------------------------------

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 18, 2013
          I support the injunction.

          Malcolm Schenot
          Echo Park, Los Angeles

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 19, 2013
            My sister has been working with street kids in Baltimore for almost two decades.
            Baltimore has a completely self sustaining black market culture and economy, and it is very difficult for kids to escape it if they are born in the wrong neighborhood.
            Interestingly, almost every 'corner boy' would practically kill for a minimum wage job.
            The culture of getting to work on some one else's clock,  in clothing appropriate for main stream culture, does not exist to support their desire for main stream jobs.  When they do land a job flipping burgers, they almost invariably get fired for minor infractions that result from a culture gap.
            Add to this that the majority of drug dealers make far less than minimum wage, and one thing becomes very clear: minimum wage jobs would go a very long way to solving the problem and break the cycle of gang support...
            Some one just needs to care enough to teach them to get to work on time, etc.

            --
            Tad Yenawine
            VTS/Visual Understanding in Education

            “Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.”  EJ Potter, RIP 2012
          • Trey Baskett
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 19, 2013
              Tad,

              You and I find common ground here. The other trick is for kids to have realistic expectations about minimum wage
              starter jobs. One of my mentors once told me "Everyone has to start somewhere and pay dues. You don't get to start as president of the
              company and promote from there."

              Did I mention that I support the injunction?

              Trey

            • pbspeedo@sbcglobal.net

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 19, 2013
                  Tad, you're touching on something that I think is largely overlooked when discussing support for kids who are born"in the wrong neighborhood", or lack good parenting or are in and out of foster care: learning how to present themselves in the work market. You cited one example, showing up to work on time. There's also knowing how to present yourself for an interview, conflict resolution that does not involve violence and yelling, behavior that is professional,good personal presentation. Basic manners, like greeting people, saying "please" and "thank you". How to navigate other basic home/life necessities, like getting a bank account.

                  A lot of kids grow up without learning how to function as adults, so of a sudden they find that they are 18 years old, legal adults, but no magic thing has happened to give them the skill set they need to know how to function. And if they've grown up in an environment where illegal activity was the norm for making money, then they suddenly find themselves facing much greater consequences without knowing what to do about it.

                  Not sure what the solution is, or how a program like that would work, but one group of kids who are hit particularly hard with this scenario are ones who have been in revolving group foster homes and then age out. They go into a world with next to no support or structure and not a lot of abilities to manage their day to day lives.

                  "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - MLK, Jr.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 19, 2013
                    One of the really fine programs that teaches youth to be job ready, is run by the Los Angeles Conservation Corps. The LACC's programs address all of the issues Esther and Tad bring up...and more. The LACC hires "youth at risk", which is, of course, every youth in the City. And, their programs also address issues which benefit the community, like tree planting, day care, graffiti, etc.
                    If you don't know the organization, check it out.
                    Pete

                    Peter Lassen
                    PLassen839@...

[...]
                    -- Tad Yenawine VTS/Visual Understanding in Educationhttp://www.vtshome.org/“Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.”  EJ Potter, RIP 2012
                  • Carol Cetrone
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 20, 2013
                      I support the efforts of the LACC and the CCAC.  I support education, after school programs, job creation and training, and I support the injunction.
                      They are not mutually exclusive.  We should use all the tools at our disposal, and help create better ones.  Although I am uncomfortable with the
                      "no exit" policy of the injunction, the article in the Times addressed that by saying Feuer is trying to improve on the old injunction model.  We should
                      be a part of the effort to help him do that as well.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 20, 2013
                        Well said Carol. Thank you.

                        ------------------------------
                        On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 9:29 AM PDT Carol Cetrone wrote:

                        >I support the efforts of the LACC and the CCAC. I support education, after school programs, job creation and training, and I support the injunction.
                        >They are not mutually exclusive. We should use all the tools at our disposal, and help create better ones. Although I am uncomfortable with the
                        >"no exit" policy of the injunction, the article in the Times addressed that by saying Feuer is trying to improve on the old injunction model. We should
                        >be a part of the effort to help him do that as well.
                        >

                        >On Aug 19, 2013, at 7:02 PM, Peter Lassen wrote:
                        >

                        >> One of the really fine programs that teaches youth to be job ready, is run by the Los Angeles Conservation Corps. The LACC's programs address all of the issues Esther and Tad bring up...and more. The LACC hires "youth at risk", which is, of course, every youth in the City. And, their programs also address issues which benefit the community, like tree planting, day care, graffiti, etc.
                        >> If you don't know the organization, check it out.
                        >> Pete
                        >>

                        >> Peter Lassen
                        >> PLassen839@...

                      • Tad Yenawine
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
                          While I agree that problems with manners, presentation, etc can stem from a lack of parental oversight, it is far more troubling when parents are steeped in the same culture that is removed from the main stream, and carefully pass down the standards of their culture to their kids.  In Baltimore, it is a completely self sustaining economy and culture that stands in the way of reintegration with mainstream culture and economy.  We have plenty of examples in Los Angeles of the same thing happening for the same reasons; fortunately not as pervasive as it is in Baltimore, which is essentially two cities...
                          One of the criticisms of the gang injunction as proposed is how it would effect families in Echo Park; it has been posited that many Echo Park families have had gang connections, uninterrupted, since the 1920s or 1930s.  Almost one hundred years of a parallel culture outside of the mainstream to support future and present activity.  Not a lack of parental guidance; exactly the opposite in many cases.
                          An injunction against entrenched culture is unlikely to do anything besides further isolate the gang culture.  The data suggests that there is a temporary reduction in crime, with potential to defer some behavior to neighboring communities and a serious bounce historically at the end of the injunction.
                          In economic terms, the extra attention is unsustainable, for the police, the courts, the prisons.
                          The consequences to kids and young adults who are unfortunate enough to get on the list are severe, and there is no reliable way to be removed, as statistical data proves.
                          An injunction has never been successfully used to eliminate gang activity in a neighborhood.

                          Our community deserves better than an injunction.  Demand better from our representatives.  The story of America is one of assimilation; until the economics of privatization and defunding public education took hold, it was a fairly successful one; now economic segregation supports cultural separation, and it is gutting our country.  Land of the Free; home of the most incarcerated population in the world.  Not my American dream...

                          I appreciate that all of you are interested in making the community a better place whether you support the injunction or not.  I hope that the community leaders will, at our urging, have the courage and fortitude to enact real solutions to deep rooted problems.

                          Thank you for your attention.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013

                            http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/08/21/38820/court-hearing-on-city-of-los-angeles-proposed-echo/