Celebrating Progressive Patriotism; Top Ten July 4th Songs

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2013
      http://portside.org/2013-07-04/celebrating-progressive-patriotism-top-ten-ju
      ly-4th-songs

      Celebrating Progressive Patriotism; Top Ten July 4th Songs

      To some, patriotism means "my country -- right or wrong." To others, it
      means loyalty to a set of principles, and thus requires dissent and
      criticism when those in power violate those standards. Not enough Americans
      are aware that much of what we consider our patriotic culture, especially
      our iconic music, was created by artists and writers of decidedly left-wing
      sympathies.

      Peter Drier, Richard Flacks and Peter Rothberg
      July 3, 2013

      Paul Robeson singing national anthem with chorus of employees, Moore Dry
      Dock Company, Oakland, California (Sept. 20, 1942)
      http://coldwarcultures.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/imgres.jpeg

      Huffington Post

      July 4 is an occasion for Americans to express their patriotism. But the
      ways we do so are as diverse as our nation.

      To some, patriotism means "my country -- right or wrong." To others, it
      means loyalty to a set of principles, and thus requires dissent and
      criticism when those in power violate those standards. As Martin Luther King
      said in a speech during the Montgomery bus boycott in 1955, "the great glory
      of American democracy is the right to protest for right."

      - See more at:
      http://portside.org/2013-07-04/celebrating-progressive-patriotism-top-ten-ju
      ly-4th-songs#sthash.NLgDpoQ9.dpuf