Chitalpas

  • Michael obrien
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2013
      Our Chitalpas (X Chitalpa tashkenensis) are flowering right now on Sunset, and as the "X" (a multiplication sign) indicates they are a hybrid, in this case between Catalpa bignonioides (you can see one on Temple near the old Rampart police station) and Chilopsis linearis, the Desert Willow. You can see two examples of the Chilopsis at Angelus Temple, the first two shrubby plants up from Glendale. In this case, they are a hybrid with deep purple flowers, while the species has light blue flowers. And, wonder of wonders, these trees were correctly grown--trees do not naturally grow as a ball on a stick, it's just the nursery business that grows them that way, which is why they need to be staked.

      Michael O'Brien