FW: FBI's Use of Drones for U.S. Surveillance Raises Fears over Privacy, Widening Corporate-Gov't Ties

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2013
      From: Ed Pearl [mailto:epearlag@...]
      Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:51 AM
      To: Daily Digest B (dailydigest-b@...)
      Subject: FBI's Use of Drones for U.S. Surveillance Raises Fears over
      Privacy, Widening Corporate-Gov't Ties

      http://www.democracynow.org/2013/6/21/fbis_use_of_drones_for_us

      FBI's Use of Drones for U.S. Surveillance Raises Fears over Privacy,
      Widening Corporate-Gov't Ties
      "A great trend we are seeing that also with the use of biometrics. For
      example, people arrested in Occupy New York City were asked if they would
      submit to iris scans. Now, we're also seeing that they were held longer when
      they said no, but if you go to a hospital, for example, they might ask you
      to put your palm under a scanner. They'll say it is for expediency, you can
      see the doctor faster. But you're giving up personal information that is
      stored. I think it is really important to realize all of the information
      gathered electronically or through biometrics is stored and can be accessed
      and used for purposes other than what it was originally intended for, at a
      point down the road."
      Guest: Heidi Boghosian
      Democracy Now: June 21, 2013