Re: Carmen Trutanich Seeks Injunction to Help Rid Echo Park of Gang Activity

  • Trey Baskett
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
      The answer is yes. Gang injunctions, when enforced diligently, are a very effective tool for suppressing gang activity.
    • Judith Hansen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
        About two weeks ago, just before leaving for the summer, I was at the car wash on Sunset, a few blocks west of Beudrey. A young couple and their very smart little 2 year old were waiting for their car, he with his leg and arm in heavy  braces. He had trouble walking. It was an all Spanish speaking crowd and I listened as best I could as he talked to another guy who apparently had asked him what had happened to him. The asker's car was ready and he left before he/we got an answer.

        So, I asked him, as my daughter also has a leg brace and it kind of makes for a club.
        He said that two years ago he had been "shot up" in Angelino Heights. The guys, gang members who had "dealings but don't live in E.P", had followed him from his house in Boyle Heights and "got" him.  He was totally paralyzed but now, after a couple of years of therapy, he can walk and much has returned. He is really grateful to the rehab center.

        According to him, he had joined "Father Boyle's place" (he asked me if I knew of Homeboys). His girlfriend said it made some guys mad. He nodded. I guess mad enough to shoot him.
        He just enrolled at Pasadena CC because he wants to be a social worker.
        He also recently went back to Homeboys for the first time. He said it was "really hard."

        Just one fragment of a story.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
          When I took architectural design classes at Glendale College, we had to understand
          design for the "Americans With Disabilities Act".  To help us visualize the difficulties
          of the disabled, a wheelchair-bound student from another class visited our classroom.
          His poor control of his arms as well as paralyzed legs made me think
          this young man might have MS and I asked him about it.  He said he had been shot by gang
          members in Echo Park and would remain in this condition permanently.
          Apparently young men continue to be crippled.

          To: EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com

        • J8Payne@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
            There are gang injunctions here that are going into effect.  Here is some discussion.  Some feel safer.

            Elizabeth is home from Switzerland with colorful stories  about that country.  It appears clean and perfect there,  but when you break rules or protocol they go ballistic.  Denmark was a little bit like that too.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
              Yup. I was pretty shocked. Somehow I thought it was history.
              cheers.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 18 8:30 AM