"A Massive Surveillance State": Glenn Greenwald Exposes Covert NSA Program Collecting Calls, Emails

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2013

      "A Massive Surveillance State": Glenn Greenwald Exposes Covert NSA Program
      Collecting Calls, Emails

      "I think the crucial thing to realize is that hundreds of millions of
      Americans and—in fact, billions of people around the world essentially rely
      on the Internet exclusively to communicate with one another. Very few people
      use landline phones for much of anything. So when you talk about things like
      online chats and social media messages and emails, what you’re really
      talking about is the full extent of human communication. And what the
      objective of the National Security Agency is, as the stories that we’ve
      revealed thus far demonstrate and as the stories we’re about to reveal will
      continue to demonstrate—the objective of the NSA and the U.S. government is
      nothing less than destroying all remnants of privacy. They want to make sure
      that every single time human beings interact with one another, things that
      we say to one another, things we do with one another, places we go, the
      behavior in which we engage, that they know about it, that they can watch
      it, and they can store it, and they can access it at any time. That’s what
      this program is about. And they’re explicit about the fact that since most
      communications are now coming through these Internet companies, it is vital,
      in their eyes, for them to have full and unfettered access to it. And they
      act on that premise."
      Glenn Greenwald

      <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data> NSA
      Taps in to Internet Giants’ Systems to Mine User Data, Secret Files Reveal",
      as well as "
      -order> NSA Collecting Phone Records of Millions of Verizon Customers