Robert Scheer: Elizabeth Warren, a Great Investment

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2013
      http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/elizabeth_warren_a_great_investment_2013
      0514/

      Elizabeth Warren, a Great Investment
      <http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/elizabeth_warren_a_great_investment_201
      30514/#>

      "The federal government is profiting off loans to our young people while
      giving a far better deal to the same Wall Street banks that crashed our
      economy and destroyed millions of jobs. That's why I've introduced the Bank
      on Students Loan Fairness Act as my first bill in the Senate: To allow
      students to borrow money at the same rate as the biggest banks."

      <http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/AP130307014881-elizabe
      th-warren-300.jpg>

      Truthdig: May 14, 2013

      Elizabeth Warren does great email. One payoff of my pittance of a
      contribution to her grass-roots funded campaign-I regret not contributing
      more-is that I am regularly alerted by the new Massachusetts senator to the
      favoritism of our Congress toward Wall Street.

      That's how I was reminded this week that Congress is about to let the
      interest rate charged for new student loans double to 6.8 percent at a time
      when the too-big-to-fail banks that caused the Great Recession continue to
      be bailed out at the rate of 0.75 percent. Yes, the banks pay less than 1
      percent for money that we the taxpayers lend them. I know that such
      statistics are thought to be boring, but as Warren explained, the rate that
      students will have to pay "is nine times higher than the rate at which the
      government loans money to the big banks."