Noam Chomsky: Boston and Beyond

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2013

      Boston and Beyond

      "There is a long and highly instructive history showing the willingness of
      state authorities to risk the fate of their populations, sometimes severely,
      for the sake of their policy objectives, not least the most powerful state
      in the world. We ignore it at our peril. There was no direct way to prevent
      the Boston murders. There are some easy ways to prevent likely future ones:
      by not inciting them."

      Noam Chomsky
      Published: May 06, 2013

      April is usually a cheerful month in New England, with the first signs of
      spring, and the harsh winter at last receding. Not this year.

      There are few in Boston who were not touched in some way by the marathon
      bombings on April 15 and the tense week that followed. Several friends of
      mine were at the finish line when the bombs went off. Others live close to
      where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the second suspect, was captured. The young police
      officer Sean Collier was murdered right outside my office building.

      It's rare for privileged Westerners to see, graphically, what many others
      experience daily - for example, in a remote village in Yemen, the same week
      as the marathon bombings.

      On April 23, Yemeni activist and journalist Farea Al-Muslimi, who had
      studied at an American high school, testified before a U.S. Senate committee
      that right after the marathon bombings, a drone strike in his home village
      in Yemen killed its target.