Willie Nelson Turns 80: "One Person Carrying a Message Can Change the World"

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2013
      http://www.democracynow.org/2013/4/29/country_musician_willie_nelson_turns_80

      Country Musician Willie Nelson Turns 80: "One Person Carrying a Message Can Change the World"

      *

      <http://www.democracynow.org/2008/2/21/musical_legend_willie_nelson_on_farm> Willie_nelson-1

      Musical Legend Willie Nelson on Farm Aid, Biodiesel Fuel, Outlaw Country Music, Marijuana Laws, the Impeachment of President Bush, the 9/11 Attacks & More

      Watch the full interview with <http://www.democracynow.org/2008/2/21/musical_legend_willie_nelson_on_farm> Willie Nelson on Democracy Now!

      Country music legend Willie Nelson turns 80 years old today. Last night he performed a benefit birthday concert in Austin to raise money for the fire department of West, Texas — the town devastated by a fertilizer plant explosion that killed 14 people earlier this month. Nelson was born just a few miles away in Abbott, Texas, in 1933. In addition to being one of the most celebrated country musicians, Nelson has been politically active for decades. He co-founded Farm Aid, the annual benefit and awareness-raising concert for small farmers. Nelson has partnered in a biodiesel plant that fuels trucks with vegetable oil. And he serves on the advisory board member for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. We broadcast an excerpt of our hour-long interview with Nelson when he joined us in our studio in 2008.