Fwd: Edendale Library Friends Society (ELFS) urgently need your help!

  • Tad Yenawine
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: noelgr <noelgr@...>
      Date: Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM
      Subject: Edendale Library Friends Society (ELFS) urgently need your help!
      To: Oliver.Delgado@..., strictlyty@...
      Cc: jesussanchez@..., anthea.raymond@...

      Dear Sirs,

      I am writing you for your help.  I am one of the founding board members and present Book Sale Manager for the Edendale Branch Public Library.  The Edendale Library Friends Society (ELFS) is a certified, registered non-profit organization which formed even before the new branch opened at 2011 W. Sunset Blvd. in Sept 2004.

      Since 2005, our dedicated volunteers have held a weekly used book sale every Wednesday from 2PM until 5PM in the Edendale Library's Community room.  The profits from these sales, plus our annual membership dive, are what we use to provide much needed services to our beloved Echo Park Library.

      Just some of the things we have helped to finance include supplies, prizes and refreshments for our very popular Children's, Young Adult and Adult Library Programs; library materials including books, periodicals, computers and software, new floor mats and floor cleaning in both the Community room and main Library.  Right now we are in the process of providing over $1,000.00 to re-upholster 6 very well-used reading chairs.

      Here is our problem.  We simply do not have the funds to cover the huge outdoor maintenance issues we have here at Edendale.  Due to our very public and accessible location, at Sunset Blvd. and Alvarado, we enjoy one of the highest 'use by patron/community' ratio of any branch Library in C/D 13.  But what is our blessing is also our curse!  At night we have on-going homeless encampments on our grounds and along both fro nt and back handicapped ramps.  Our utility sheds (which we use for book storage) have been broken into so that they can store their bed rolls, clothes and misc. stuff.

      Due to the City budget cuts we very rarely see anyone from the Bureau of General Services.  In 2011, due to the deteriorating situation at both the Echo Park and Edendale Branches, we asked for and received some funding from the GEPENC.  They signed a contract with Chrysalis Enterprises, to provide maintenance at each Library, once a week for 4 hours, thru the first quarter of their 2013 budget.  After the N/C Elections in Oct. 20112 the GEPENC funds were 'frozen' hence Chrysalis was not being paid.  Now we have outstanding bill's for Jan 2013 and in Feb. the ELFS agreed to pick up the charges for what we hoped would only be a 5-week, interim period.   Stanley, our Chrysalis worker, is fantastic and we did not want to lose him!

      Our budget can not provide the necessary services we provide our Librarian's and Library programs, plus cover the cost of our much needed outdoor maintenance.  As of March we cut Stanley's service to only 2 days per month and that is just not enough!  Last week he struggled to just get the Sunset Blvd. entrance cleaned up, let alone doing anything on the parking lot side.  It's not fair to expect him to do it all - he's a very hard worker and cares about his work, but this is just too big a problem!

      When we talked with the newly elected Treas. of GEPENC after the Elections, he had hoped to restore both the Echo Park and Edendale funding within 5 weeks, but also mentioned that Garcetti's CD13 office had "Neighborhood Beautification Funds" still in place that we might utilize.  If our neighborhood Public Libraries are not a major "Community Beautification Project" and if our N/C and our Dis trict 13 Representatives can't help to keep our Libraries looking like the cared for, enjoyed and appreciated institutions the voters in their communities expect, and pay for, than they have failed in a big way!

      Please, come visit our ELFS volunteers any Wednesday.  We would love to show you the extent of our problems, just watch where you step!  We need your financial support NOW.

      Thank you for considering our request.  We look forward to your timely reply.

      Sincerely,
      Suzanne Rogers
      Former Founding Member GEPENC
      Founding Member ELFS/ Book Store Manager - on behalf of our entire ELFS Members
      1625 Sargent Place, LA 90026(213) 250-5208   Email: noelgr@...

      --
      Tad Yenawine
      VTS/Visual Understanding in Education

      “Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.”  EJ Potter, RIP 2012