Fwd: Fw: Ten Historic Photos

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Anna Kunkin <anna1baila@...>
      Date: Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
      Subject: Fw: Ten Historic Photos
      To: Anna Kunkin <anna1baila@...>

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: April Fountain <aprilfountain@...>
      To: April Fountain <AprilFountain@...>
      Sent: Monday, January 7, 2013 1:54 PM
      Subject: Ten Historic Photos

      A TRUE STORY EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW!
      This is the story of our Mothers and Grandmothers
      .

      Remember, it was not until 1920 that women were granted the right to go to the polls and vote.

      The women were innocent and defenseless, but they were jailed nonetheless for picketing the White House, carrying signs asking for the vote.

      And by the end of the night, they were barely alive. Forty prison guards wielding clubs and their warden's blessing went on a rampage against the 33 women wrongly convicted of 'obstructing sidewalk traffic.'

      (Lucy Burns)
      They beat Lucy Burns, chained her hands to the cell bars above her head and left her hanging for the night, bleeding and gasping for air.

      (Dora Lewis)
      They hurled Dora Lewis into a dark cell, smashed her head against an iron bed and knocked her out cold. Her cell mate, Alice Cosu, thought Lewis was dead and suffered a heart attack. Additional affidavits describe the guards grabbing, dragging, beating, choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking the women.

      Thus unfolded the
       'Night of Terror' on Nov. 15, 1917, when the warden at the Occoquan Workhouse in Virginia ordered his guards to teach a lesson to the suffragists imprisoned there because they dared to picket Woodrow Wilson's White House for the right to vote. For weeks, the women's only water came from an open pail. Their food--all of it colorless slop--was infested with worms.

      (Alice Paul)
      When one of the leaders, Alice Paul, embarked on a hunger strike, they tied her to a chair, forced a tube down her throat and poured liquid into her until she vomited. She was tortured like this for weeks until word was smuggled out to the press.

      Mrs Pauline Adams in the prison garb she wore while serving a 60 day sentence.
      Last week, I went to a sparsely attended screening of HBO's movie 'Iron Jawed Angels.' It is a graphic depiction of the battle these women waged so that I could pull the curtain at the polling booth and have my say. I am ashamed to say I needed the reminder.

      Miss Edith Ainge, of Jamestown , New York
      All these years later, voter registration is still my passion. But the
       actual act of voting had become less personal for me, more rote. Frankly, voting often felt more like an obligation than a privilege. Sometimes it was inconvenient.

      (Berthe Arnold, CSU graduate)
      My friend Wendy, who is my age and studied women's history, saw the HBO movie, too. When she stopped by my desk to talk about it, she looked angry. She was--with herself. 'One thought kept coming back to me as I watched that movie,' she said. 'What would those women think of the way I use, or don't use, my right to vote? All of us take it for granted now, not just younger women, but those of us who did seek to learn.' The right to vote, she said, had become valuable to her 'all over again.'

      HBO released the movie on video and DVD . I wish all history, social studies and government teachers would include the movie in their curriculum I want it shown on Bunco/Bingo night, too, and anywhere else women gather. I realize this isn't our usual idea of socializing,
       but we are not voting in the numbers that we should be, and I think a little shock therapy is in order.

      Conferring over ratification of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution at National Woman's Party headquarters, Jackson Place , Washington , D.C.
      Left to right: Mrs. Lawrence Lewis, Mrs. Abby Scott Baker, Anita Pollitzer, Alice Paul, Florence Boeckel, Mabel Vernon (standing, right))

      It is jarring to watch Woodrow Wilson and his cronies try to persuade a psychiatrist to declare Alice Paul insane so that she could be permanently institutionalized. And it is inspiring to watch the doctor refuse. Alice Paul was strong, he said, and brave. That didn't make her crazy.

      The doctor admonished the men: 'Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.'

      Helena Hill Weed, Norwalk , Conn. Serving 3 day sentence in D.C. prison for carrying banner, 'Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed.'