Melissa Harris-Perry: Newtown and the Perils of Fear-Driven Lawmaking

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      http://www.thenation.com/article/171861/after-newtown-beware-fear-driven-policymaking

      Newtown and the Perils of Fear-Driven Lawmaking

      Melissa
      Harris-Perry
      The Nation: in the January 7-14,
      2013 Edition

      I was a panelist on an MSNBC show during the noon hour of December 14. When
      the show began, we had information about a school shooting in Connecticut.
      We believed there were three people hospitalized with non-life-threatening
      injuries and a gunman who had committed suicide. Scary stuff, but probably a
      story that would occupy our attention for the proverbial fifteen minutes.
      But by the end of the hour, we'd heard reports that at least eighteen
      children under the age of 10 had been murdered in cold blood as they huddled
      in their classrooms.

      Melissa
      Harris-Perry

      Melissa