Noam Chomsky, via M. Kasenbacher: Work, Learning and Freedom

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2012
      http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/274-41/15259-work-learning-and-freed
      om

      Work, Learning and Freedom

      By Noam Chomsky and Michael Kasenbacher, New Left Project

      27 December 12:

      <http://readersupportednews.org/images/stories/alphabet/rsn-I.jpg> n this
      often personal interview, renowned linguist and political commentator Noam
      Chomsky outlines a libertarian perspective on work and education, arguing
      that freedom is the root of creativity and fulfilment.

      Michael Kasenbacher: The question I would like to ask is what is really
      wanted work? Maybe we could start with your personal life and your double
      career in linguistics and political activism? Do you like that kind of work?

      If I had the time I would spend far more time doing work on language,
      philosophy, cognitive science, topics that are intellectually very
      interesting. But a large part of my life is given to one or another form of
      political activity: reading, writing, organising, activism and so on. Which
      is worth doing, it's necessary but it's not really intellectually
      challenging. Regarding human affairs we either understand nothing, or it's
      pretty superficial. It's hard work to get the data and put it all together
      but it's not terribly challenging intellectually. But I do it because it's
      necessary. The kind of work that should be the main part of life is the kind
      of work you would want to do if you weren't being paid for it. It's work
      that comes out of your own internal needs, interests and concerns.