Re: [EchoElysianNCForum] Re: NYTimes.com: How Wal-Mart Used Payoffs to Get Its Way in Mexico

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2012
      "Grocery union" is a joke.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 18, 2012, at 6:41 PM, Isa Meksin <lagunaecho@...> wrote:

      How does one access the article?

      I felt the Walmart issues more complex - not having a grocery store in that apartment complex for so many decades should have been a community issue and the grocery unions should have been approached to recommend stores which had good union policies - and the community go to those stores and ask them in - and show support to shop there.  Walmart was filling the need - which should have been filled by an entity the community, in good conscience, would support.
      On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Judith Hansen <judithcheerful@...> wrote:

      frankly, I was not against Wal-Mart coming in. I am against ever shopping there and supporting it.
      One of the reasons:

      Sent by judithcheerful@...:

      How Wal-Mart Used Payoffs to Get Its Way in Mexico

      By DAVID BARSTOW and ALEJANDRA XANIC von BERTRAB
      Wal-Mart de Mexico was an aggressive and creative corrupter, offering large payoffs to get what the law otherwise prohibited, an examination by The New York Times found.
      Or, copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://nyti.ms/U5hTe0
      To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add nytdirect@... to your address book.
      article tools sponsored by
      Copyright 2012 | The New York Times Company | NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018