Fwd: This week in Southern California history...

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2012

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: the Studio for Southern California History <thesocalstudio@...>
      Date: Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:00 AM
      Subject: This week in Southern California history...
      To: lagunaecho@...

      November 7 - 14

      November 10, 1914

      Caroline Severance dies at the age of 95 and is laid to rest at Angelus Rosedale Cemetery. Her tireless efforts are instrumental in establishing the rights of women by working with women at a national and local level. In 1866 Severance, with Susan B. Anthony, founded the Equal Rights Association. In 1867, with Lucretia Mott, T. W. Higginson, and others, she founded the Free Religious Association. And in 1869, Severance and Lucy Stone founded the American Woman Suffrage Association. Severance moved to Los Angeles in 1875 and continued her efforts by establishing kindergartens and beginning the Friday Morning Club, a women’s club and center for social reform efforts in Los Angeles. In 1910, at the age of 91, Severance was given the honor of being the first woman to register to vote in California after the state gave women the right to vote.

      Learn more ...

      This information was gathered as part of our exhibit on women's history, created in 2007: LA Women: A Record of Experience.

      Visit the LA History Archive to explore even more history!

      This message was sent to lagunaecho@... from:

      Studio for Southern California History | 818 N. Hill Street PMB 740 | Los Angeles, CA 90012

      Unsubscribe  |  Send To a Friend

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2013