11/8: MAKE THE CALL, SIGN THE PETITION TO SUPPORT SERGIO!

  • SIUHIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FZ4npfoeKDKA8brogolJuYgZstRbAMzU

      11.08.12

      MAKE THE CALL, SIGN THE PETITION TO SUPPORT SERGIO - It's a matter of life or death!

      This week, there were some great victories for workers, immigrants, the LGBT community, and more BUT the work for us and for the people we fight for continues.

      One of our leaders of the Dignity at Darden campaign in Los Angeles has been in an ICE detention facility since May of this year. Sergio is a ROC-LA member, a gay man living with AIDS, who was recently diagnosed with cancer. Doctors found a tumor in his head - but Sergio is not getting the medical treatment he needs.
      Please take a minute to sign this petition: http://action.dreamactivist.org/california/sergio/
      Sergio was told he needs chemotherapy as soon as possible but he is not getting the treatment he needs in detention. His health is deteriorating rapidly, and without the proper treatment Sergio could die soon. Santa Ana City Jail has a record of abuses of gay and transgender detainees, delays in medical care, and reports of mistreatment. Sergio needs to be released immediately!
      Please take a minute to sign the petition, share it with others, and make a call to ICE!
      Call ICE – John Morton @ 202-732-3000

      Sample Script: “Hi, I am calling to urge ICE to release Sergio Vazquez Gutierrez (A# 200-243-222) from the Santa Ana City Jail in California. Sergio was recently diagnosed with cancer and a tumor in his head. He needs immediate surgery to remove the tumor before it's too late. Sergio must be released from detention to get the treatment he urgently needs. Let him go!"

      Thank You!
      ROC United

      National Immigrant Solidarity Network

      e-mail: info@...

      New York: (212)330-8172
      Los Angeles: (213)403-0131
      Washington D.C.: (202)595-8990
      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      * join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...

      Send check pay to:

      National Immigrant Solidarity Network
      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751

      (All donations are tax deductible)
    • paul bowers
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
        I'm choosing internet, cable and home phone package.  Any thoughts?

        Paul Bowers

      • Michael obrien
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
          well, I have AT&T--just because moving providers gets me into multiple un-comparable plans, and I can't tell what gives the best service for the best price. and AT&T will eventually send you a confirmation e-mail where you have to fill in your personal information. Problem is, the AT&T form is in TWO POINT TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! barely displayable. and they do not support the Mac Safari browser, altho you can ignore this, and things work out just the same. saying all this, the service is reliable, once you get through the thicket of "customer service." (pardon me while I collapse in gales of laughter over that last phrase......)

          Michael O'Brien

        • pbspeedo@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012

            Uh, you DID say customer service, didn't you? They have some?
            well, I have AT&T--just because moving providers gets me into multiple un-comparable plans, and I can't tell what gives the best service for the best price. and AT&T will eventually send you a confirmation e-mail where you have to fill in your personal information. Problem is, the AT&T form is in TWO POINT TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! barely displayable. and they do not support the Mac Safari browser, altho you can ignore this, and things work out just the same. saying all this, the service is reliable, once you get through the thicket of "customer service." (pardon me while I collapse in gales of laughter over that last phrase......)

            Michael O'Brien

            I'm choosing internet, cable and home phone package.  Any thoughts?

            Paul Bowers

          • Michael Lawler
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
              Our DSL from AT&T is so miserable that we're going to get cable even though we don't have a TV.  2.6 mbps down and 480 up in Los Angeles, the media capital of the world?  And that's the best they've got?  It's not enough to stream hi-def, and even then, it often stalls.  Reminds me of dial-up.  And then there's the connection dropping when the phone rings, and their miserable 2-Wire router which needs to be rebooted at all the wrong times, a process which takes WAY too long.  And then there's their miserable, uncaring, hard to reach, "customer service followed by an incompetent service call.  I just put up with the problems now -- it's too much of a pain to get service and the service doesn't resolve the problems.  I can't yet speak of the competition, but no, I wouldn't recommend AT&T.

              ml

              At 05:55 PM 11/8/2012, you wrote:

              well, I have AT&T--just because moving providers gets me into multiple un-comparable plans, and I can't tell what gives the best service for the best price. and AT&T will eventually send you a confirmation e-mail where you have to fill in your personal information. Problem is, the AT&T form is in TWO POINT TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! barely displayable. and they do not support the Mac Safari browser, altho you can ignore this, and things work out just the same. saying all this, the service is reliable, once you get through the thicket of "customer service." (pardon me while I collapse in gales of laughter over that last phrase......)

              Michael O'Brien

              I'm choosing internet, cable and home phone package.  Any thoughts?

              Paul Bowers

            • noelgr
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
                Michael,

                As a fellow masochistic sufferer of the wonderful AT&T, deep in the heart of rural Echo Park, I'd like to point out, how tough it is for them to get the signal to travel those 460 feet beyond the range of one of their  "powerful" hubs!!!!!!!!!

                Noel

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
                  DSL doesn't work in this neighborhood because the radio station just west of Glendale Blvd (you can see the lights on top of it at night) interferes with the land lines, which include DSL. When I first moved here I had to give up my cordless phone, which picked up the station clearly. I got AT&T  DSL and it didn't work. One of the technicians admitted to me what was going on.

                  So I have Time Warner cable internet, and it runs great because the cable wires are not affected, and neither are cell phones for that matter. It's more expensive, and the company itself is nothing to write home about, but it works.

                  Lots of people have tried to do something about that radio station (to no avail), but it's been years since anyone I know has mentioned the problem.

                  Malcolm Schenot
                  Echo Park, Los Angeles

                  As a fellow masochistic sufferer of the wonderful AT&T, deep in the heart of rural Echo Park, I'd like to point out, how tough it is for them to get the signal to travel those 460 feet beyond the range of one of their  "powerful" hubs!!!!!!!!!

                  Noel

                  I'm choosing internet, cable and home phone package.  Any thoughts?

                  Paul Bowers

                • Judith Beatrice
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012

                    Several years ago, I had radio interference with my landline.  ATT installed filters for the phone line and the interference went away.  The problem recurred about six months ago, and the technician installed new filters, this time reflecting that I also now have ATT internet service.  No more interference on either the phone or my internet service.  I have both wired and cordless phones.

                    Judy Raskin

                    As a fellow masochistic sufferer of the wonderful AT&T, deep in the heart of rural Echo Park, I'd like to point out, how tough it is for them to get the signal to travel those 460 feet beyond the range of one of their  "powerful" hubs!!!!!!!!!

                    Noel

                    On Nov 8, 2012, at 8:12:41 PM, "Michael Lawler" <michael.lawler@...> wrote:

                    "Michael Lawler" <michael.lawler@...>

                    Re: [EchoElysianNCForum] AT&T vs Time Warner: who has the better deal/service around Elysian Heights?

                    November 8, 2012 8:12:41 PM PST

                    EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com

                    At 05:55 PM 11/8/2012, you wrote:

                    well, I have AT&T--just because moving providers gets me into multiple un-comparable plans, and I can't tell what gives the best service for the best price. and AT&T will eventually send you a confirmation e-mail where you have to fill in your personal information. Problem is, the AT&T form is in TWO POINT TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! barely displayable. and they do not support the Mac Safari browser, altho you can ignore this, and things work out just the same. saying all this, the service is reliable, once you get through the thicket of "customer service." (pardon me while I collapse in gales of laughter over that last phrase......)

                    Michael O'Brien

                    I'm choosing internet, cable and home phone package.  Any thoughts?

                    Paul Bowers

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • Bev Baz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
                      The AT&T debate prompts me to forward this video my son did of our ongoing frustration with the giant company.
                      Be warned: "colorful" language is used.

                      http://youtu.be/M39zI0-9o_0

                      http://www.bevbaz.com

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 8, 2012
                        DSL works fine in many parts of the neighborhood. It should work great
                        where Paul lives, as he is very close to the fiber optic hub at Elysian
                        Heights Elementary.

                        uVerse is also good - we switched from DSL this last year. You can get
                        just data through uVerse, and add TV and/or phone service.

                        The radio station should not impact the signal from DSL if the phone
                        wiring in your home is less than 30 years old. The phone company uses
                        unshielded twisted pair (UTP) wiring, which elegantly negates
                        electro-magnetic interference (EMI). However, your electrical wiring
                        (and electronic devices) may conduct EMI if you do not have good
                        grounding in your building. In these cases, EMI from the local radio
                        towers can cause significant problems in some areas.

                        andrew