Fwd: TAKE ACTION: Call on Jordan to give women equal citizenship rights to men

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2012

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Equality Now <info@...>
      Date: Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:01 AM
      Subject: TAKE ACTION: Call on Jordan to give women equal citizenship rights to men
      To: lagunaecho@...

      Equality Now
      Take Action!

      With few exceptions, Jordanian women who marry non-Jordanian men, unlike Jordanian men who marry non-Jordanian women, cannot pass on their nationality to their spouses or their children. Resulting restrictions, such as where the ‘foreign’ children from these unions can work or study, in access to government hospitals and the need to obtain Ministry of the Interior approval to marry, are all contributing to the vulnerability of these women and their families. There is also the inclination for mothers married to non-nationals to marry their daughters to Jordanians at young ages, in order to provide the security and protection that they themselves do not have.

      In support of the
      Nima Habashna’s “My mother is Jordanian, and her nationality is a right for me” campaign, Equality Now has issued an action calling for the amendment of the Nationality Law and for interim measures to be taken in support of these women and their families. Although elections for the new Jordanian parliament are pending, a Cabinet is still operating which has the power to pass a temporary amendment. Please join us today.

      TAKE ACTION HERE

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6208/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=12065

      You can now easily share this action on Facebook, Twitter and elsewhere--look for the sharing tools at the top of the action page.

      Please click on the following link for further information:
      http://www.equalitynow.org/take_action/discrimination_in_law_action451

      We hope that you will support this and our other Action campaigns.

        Take action!

      EQUALITY NOW

      works to end violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world.

      Make a donation:
https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6208/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=1938

      Connect with us:

      Connect with us:
http://www.facebook.com/equalitynoworg and http://twitter.com/equalitynow

      You have received this email through your subscription to Equality Now's email list. If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email updates unsubscribe here.