Thieves of Magic Gas AKA Echo Fuels

  • erika suderburg
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
      Just wondering how many people got taken with credit card number stealing at former magic gas? So far it is at least 4 people on my block have been to the tune of 2,000 give or take. If you ever bought gas there check your statements! I wish I had checked mine earlier. I hope they get caught. Erika
    • j. borden
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
        My debit card was 'hacked' last week, possibly at Magic Gas.  However I don't believe the
        banks and card companies are putting much effort into going after these relatively
        small-time crooks; they have insurance and seem to write it off as the cost of doing
        business. It's so commonplace.  Even as I was reporting the fraud to an officer at my bank,
        two other people were also doing the same at the next desk!

        To: EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com
        From: towerfilms@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 18:31:42 +0000
        Subject: [EchoElysianNCForum] Thieves of Magic Gas AKA Echo Fuels

        Just wondering how many people got taken with credit card number stealing at former magic gas? So far it is at least 4 people on my block have been to the tune of 2,000 give or take. If you ever bought gas there check your statements! I wish I had checked mine earlier. I hope they get caught. Erika

      • Tom Chatt
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2012
          I read with interest about the allegations of the Magic Gas folks stealing
          credit card numbers, as I have had my credit card number stolen twice in the
          last four months. How do you know it was Magic Gas? I have wondered where my
          number is getting stolen from, and I don't see any obvious well to tell.
          Mine was stolen at the end of July, and then again just a week or so ago,
          but the second time was well after the last time I used Magic Gas (8/31 was
          my last transaction). Though if they were selling credit card numbers, I
          suppose there could be some delay before the stolen number was used. Was
          there some police report that came out that said the Magic Gas folks were
          stealing credit card numbers?

          Your neighbor,
          Tom
        • paul bowers
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 5, 2012
            How did the fraudulent charges appear on bank statements? as charges at Magic gas/Echo fuels? how else?

            Paul Bowers

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 5, 2012
              I don't know what others experienced. My fraudulent charges did not appear
              at Magic Gas. They appeared at other places, though curiously, mostly gas
              stations. The first time, it was a gas station in Georgia. The second time,
              it was gas stations in Fontana and Rancho Cucamonga. (Neither of which are
              places I have been to.) If Magic Gas were stealing credit card numbers, I
              wouldn't necessary expect them to run them at their own gas station. I think
              there are black markets were stolen credit card numbers are bought and sold,
              and then used later by some random person. In my own case, I have no
              knowledge of how/where my credit card number was stolen.

              --------

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 5, 2012
                Hi Tom,

                I had 2 cards "stolen" this past week. Both had been used at Magic Gas, beofre they closed..I could not find another common thread. The few other gas stations I go to, now that Magic is closed, are randomly selected....

                A number of other neighbors have had the sae thing happen recently.

                The charges on my cards were at Gas stations in West Covina, Rancho Cucamonga (x2), Arcadia and San Dimas, all for $100.00. I have filed fraud reports with my cards, but was also told to file a police report...

                cp

                --- In EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com, paul bowers <paulagb1@...> wrote:

                > How did the fraudulent charges appear on bank statements? as charges at Magic
                > gas/Echo fuels? how else?
                >
                > Paul Bowers
                > 323-665-1581
                > 323-337-2033
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Susan Connors
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 5, 2012
                  I think there is a misunderstanding.  It is sounding like all the people who have had stolen credit card transactions are saying the one common thread is that the true owner of the card has used the card at magic gas before the bogus transactions.  It doesn't sound like the bogus transactions are taking place at Magic Gas.  This doesn't mean the owners of magic gas were in on the the thefts or even knew about the thefts.  It's very possible card readers were compromised by thieves without Magic Gas knowledge.  It's a common occurrence at gas stations and atms.
                • ckruzan25
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 5, 2012
                    Some time ago (not under this most recent "ownership") my bank called me and told me they were putting a stop on my debit card as there was fraudulent activity noted at a place where I had used it. Fortunately, they caught it before anything happened to my account, but it was right after I'd used it at Magic Gas.

                    --- In EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com, "erika suderburg" <towerfilms@...> wrote:

                    > Just wondering how many people got taken with credit card number stealing at former magic gas? So far it is at least 4 people on my block have been to the tune of 2,000 give or take. If you ever bought gas there check your statements! I wish I had checked mine earlier. I hope they get caught. Erika

                  • ms.bug
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                      We have also experienced credit card fraud at gas stations -- initially caught by our CC company -- but we don't remember gassing up at Magic Gas first (actually, it might have happened after they closed).

                      I know this doesn't really add much to the conversation except to say "it's going around." And don't forget to check your statements closely each month.

                      Ugh,

                      Bug.
                    • Trey Baskett
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                        Neighbors,

                        I just voted "provisionally" in the most important election of our lifetimes. Now you ask, "Why Trey? Why would you do such a foolish thing? Provisional votes sometimes don't get counted." And you would be right. But you see, some knucklehead, or knuckleheads, in the Los Angeles County Registrar's office decided to change my...our, polling location LAST WEEK. At least that is when I got the postcard telling me to go to Elysian Valley Rec Center instead of Baxter Elementary.  Of course when I arrived to vote today they had NO record of my having registered to vote. And the same must be true for thousands of you neighbors I presume. So, with long face and heavy heart at the vagaries of a democratic bureaucracy, I cast my provisional ballot and watched the nice gentleman place it in a box behind the scanner to be verified...when? The next 30 days...maybe?

                        Disappointed does not begin to describe my mood.

                        I called the 800 number provided at the polling place and the woman told me my vote would be counted tonight. But the card says my vote will only be counted if my eligibility to vote is verified. I am assuming that has to be done by hand for thousands of people.

                        Anyone had a similar experience today who can shed light on this?

                        Trey
                      • Jordan Sheehan
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                          I registered to vote in California before the registration deadline and received a vote-by-mail ballot. I decided to just go to to my polling place, only to find out that the vote-by-mail ballot was my only choice and that it would be counted as "provisional" ballot. I was disappointed, but assumed I missed some crucial warning when the vote-by-mail ballot arrived that this would be the case should I choose not to vote-by-mail.

                          Disappointing, but somewhat offset by the fact that California is likely going blue.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                              I'm so glad I voted early by mail-in. I've been using it for years now and it works great. If I don't get around to mailing it in on time, I can and have dropped it off (sealed) at any polling place in the city. This has been convenient in previous years when I had errands to run on Election Day and I was in another part of town.

                              This year my polling place is extremely convenient and pleasant, as it's Centro Del Pueblo on Lemoyne. Last election I went in there and said hello to neighbors I knew and deposited my mail-in ballot. Very civilized.

                              I used to live in Miami Beach and I can tell you I would be mad as a wet cat if I had to stand in line for hours like they have to do this year, but stand in line I would before I let anyone take my vote away from me.

                              Malcolm Schenot
                              Echo Park, Los Angeles

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                                      Jordan,

                                      they were misinformed. The info on the envelope says you may turn in at any polling place, if you did not mail......

                                      Very messy process this year.....too bad....

                                      Glad everyone voted though, it's not just our right it's our responsibility!

                                      cp
                                      --- In EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Sheehan <jordan@...> wrote:

                                      > I registered to vote in California before the registration deadline and received a vote-by-mail ballot. I decided to just go to to my polling place, only to find out that the vote-by-mail ballot was my only choice and that it would be counted as "provisional" ballot. I was disappointed, but assumed I missed some crucial warning when the vote-by-mail ballot arrived that this would be the case should I choose not to vote-by-mail.
                                      >
                                      > Disappointing, but somewhat offset by the fact that California is likely going blue.
                                      >
                                      > From: Trey Baskett <gcbthree@...<mailto:gcbthree@...>>
                                      > Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:33 PM
                                      > To: "EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com<mailto:EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com>" <EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com<mailto:EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com>>
                                      > Subject: [EchoElysianNCForum] Polling place confusion
                                      >

                                      > Neighbors,
                                      >
                                      > I just voted "provisionally" in the most important election of our lifetimes. Now you ask, "Why Trey? Why would you do such a foolish thing? Provisional votes sometimes don't get counted." And you would be right. But you see, some knucklehead, or knuckleheads, in the Los Angeles County Registrar's office decided to change my...our, polling location LAST WEEK. At least that is when I got the postcard telling me to go to Elysian Valley Rec Center instead of Baxter Elementary. Of course when I arrived to vote today they had NO record of my having registered to vote. And the same must be true for thousands of you neighbors I presume. So, with long face and heavy heart at the vagaries of a democratic bureaucracy, I cast my provisional ballot and watched the nice gentleman place it in a box behind the scanner to be verified...when? The next 30 days...maybe?
                                      >
                                      > Disappointed does not begin to describe my mood.
                                      >
                                      > I called the 800 number provided at the polling place and the woman told me my vote would be counted tonight. But the card says my vote will only be counted if my eligibility to vote is verified. I am assuming that has to be done by hand for thousands of people.
                                      >
                                      > Anyone had a similar experience today who can shed light on this?
                                      >
                                      > Trey

                                    • Richard Cromelin
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                                        at st theresa, which got the refugees from elysian heights, there was a woman who checked your name and directed you to the appropriate table. seemed very efficient.

                                        richard cromelin

                                        --
                                        Richard Cromelin
                                      • Michael Lawler
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                                          Terribly organized, and the poll workers were terribly trained, if trained at all.  I think the situation there was inexcusable.  When I went there early this morning, there was no map, and the ladies at the first table were confused when my name/address did not appear in their register.  Then I wandered over to the other table, and luckily, I hit the right one.  It's really preposterous that the workers at a major polling place in Los Angeles do not have a clue how to process the voters.

                                          ml

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 6, 2012
                                            It's over. Most of us won!

                                            Sent from my iPhone

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 7, 2012
                                              from the Echo Park - Silver Lake Patch on Facebook:
                                              Did you vote "provisionally" yesterday? Did you fill out a pink form after failing to find your name on a precinct list?
                                              Dean Logan, County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk, says it's 85-90 percent certain your vote will count. Watch video here. AR
                                              (not that they shouldn't iron out these issues for next time, but just thought it would make some people feel a tiny bit better...)