8 days . . ., Jill Stein arrested for supplying Keystone XL blockaders

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2012

      I fully endorse the values, facts and insights in the articles below.  I'd bet both these remarkable women agree.

      Ed

      From: aSharpShow [mailto:asharpshow@...]
      Subject: 8 days . . .

      Tue Oct 30, 2012

      8 days  . .  . .

      On this eve of Halloween, it’s wonderful to report that costume shops are experiencing an

      unprecedented run on Big Bird, apparently in response to candidate Romney’s vow to

      eliminate funding for PBS, the home of Big Bird and the Sesame Street children’s series

      WOES OF THE CAREER POLITICIAN

      A year ago the Center for Responsive Politics documented we have 250 millionaires in our

      Congress.  USA Today analyzed the findings and estimated that these politicians have median

      incomes “almost 9 times the typical household.”  Apparently 11% of Congress qualifies for

      membership in the 1% we’ve been asking to carry more of their fair share.

      COMING SOON TO A BALLOT NEAR YOU .  .   .

      If you’re reading this and live outside California, keep reading.  A CA state ballot proposition (#35)

      appears to support increased criminal penalties for human trafficking. However, this law has

      already been enacted in Washington, DC.  Different Avenues, a D.C. organization which assists

      sex workers, has had their work critically limited because the new law’s definitions of trafficking

      are very broad.  Black Women For Wellness in Los Angeles found that “Under this proposition an

      18-year-old who takes his/her partner out for dinner and a movie and then engages in sex could

      be seen as a trafficker.. . It can punish anyone who associates with minor sex workers, even if

      their only intent was to give them a ride to the store.”  Once again, a law that will target Black

      and Brown youth.

      PUT DOWN THE PHONE --

      A caller identifies themselves as an election official, stating that  there is no need for you to go to

      the polls because “You qualify to vote by phone.”  Be aware (and be sure that seniors in your family

      or apartment building are aware) that no state offers that voting option.

      IT AIN’T OVER EVEN AFTER THE FAT LADY SINGS .  .  .

      NAACP head Ben Jealous reports that “In the last two years more states have passed more laws

      blocking more people from the ballot box than any time since the dawn of Jim Crow.”  41 of our

      50 states have had ballot initiatives introduced to restrict voting, and 16 states have passed laws.

      But it doesn’t end on Nov 6,2012.  Jealous points out that “Strict voter ID laws in Pennsylvania

      and South Carolina, and proof of citizenship laws in Kansas, have only been postponed until 2013,

      leaving room for discriminatory practices in future elections.”

      IT’S A TIE SCORE

      The Brennan Center for Justice (www.brennancenter.org) reports at least 180 restrictive voting bills

      were introduced since the beginning of 2011 in 41 states.

      “14 states have passed restrictive voting laws and executive actions that have the potential to

      impact the 2012 election.  These states account for 185 electoral votes, or 68 percent of the

      total needed to win the presidency.”  And 14 states had new voter restriction laws blocked or

      blunted by the Dept of Justice of other legal entities.  More than 20 challenged restrictive bills are

      currently awaiting a court decision.

      Which leads us to:

      THAT DANG ELECTORAL COLLEGE!

      If you’re not up to speed on the bizarre, but constitutionally legal, process of the Electoral

      College, and what it means to this election, then hit this Wikipedia site for a fast update:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_Amendment.

      Apparently the founding fathers intended for the President and Vice-President to be elected at the

      state level.  How could that small group know we would end up with 50 states??  Where were

      they in the 2000 election when former Vice-President Al Gore won the popular vote but lost the

      election?   Now Gore and many others are pushing for deciding presidential elections according

      to the national popular vote.  This change requires a Constitutional Amendment.  The plan,

      “National Popular Vote,”  ( www.NationalPopularVote.com)  has already passed in several state

      legislatures and momentum is growing.

      VOTE NOTES:

      Verify that you are properly registered.  In California this is the County’s domain. For Los Angeles

      County go to www.lavote.net or call 562/ 466-1323  or 1-800-815-2666.

      Bring acceptable I.D.:  photo ID, driver’s license, passport, school ID with photo, or a non-photo

      ID that has your name and address on it, i.e. a pay stub or phone bill.

      Mark your sample ballot at home and bring it with you, or bring a cheat sheet with your decisions.

      Attire -- In many states wearing visible candidate stuff to the polls -- buttons, hats, T-shirts,

      banners --- is considered “electioneering,” and you may be asked to remove it.

                  INSIDE THE BALLOT BOX -- Quiz #3:

                  What is the number of the Constitutional Amendment that guaranteed non-Whites

                  the right to vote?

                   {Answer to 15 days Quiz :  Cong. Barbara Jordan (1936-1996) headed the impeachment

                    hearings against Pres. Richard Nixon.  She was the first African-American elected to the

                    Texas Senate since Reconstruction, and the first Black female from the South elected to

                    the U.S. House of Representatives.

      in Harold Washington’s memory . . .

      S. Pearl Sharp

      www.aSharpShow.com