Suppressed Abu Ghraib Photos Published Down Under

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2009
    http://www.laprogressive.com/2009/05/16/suppressed-abu-ghraib-photos-of-children-screaming-while-being-sodomized/

    Suppressed Abu Ghraib Photos Published Down Under;
    "What Doesn't Obama Want Us to See?"

    Pentagon Has Videos of Children Screaming While Being Sodomized

    by Charley James
    posted on Saturday, 16 May 20096 Comments

    15 of 60 Photos obtained by the Sydney Morning Herald
    were published Saturday, 16 May..

    Attached Photo: SBS/Dateline

    Somehow, the Sydney Morning Herald obtained some of the additional Abu
    Ghraib photos that the Obama administration is in US court trying to keep
    hidden as it fights an ACLU Freedom of Information lawsuit. Fifteen of the
    60 are published on-line Saturday (Sydney time) by the newspaper.

    Is it because we've become inured to photos of Americans torturing prisoners
    of war that I don't have the same violent, angry reaction to this latest
    batch as I did when the first Abu Ghraib pictures were leaked? Have I
    watched that same video loop of a jump-suited Army volunteer being
    waterboarded too many times to feel the same intense nausea at images of
    what George Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and the rest of the
    Inquisition priests authorized in my name? Did seven years of a constant
    drip-drip-drip on my head as each new piece of information leaked out of yet
    another crime against humanity desensitize me to the horror of what we
    became?

    America finally jumped the shark, dooming us and our time to be remembered
    in history as the moment when we joined a long list of nations whose
    self-betrayal led to our own collapse. And why do I not feel an Arctic chill
    blain down my back when I think of this horrific possibility, or how and why
    it happened? Why we let it happen?

    I am revolted by my own lack of revulsion.

    Mourning In America

    Meanwhile, Daily Kos is reporting Seymour Hersh saying the US government has
    videotapes of boys being sodomized at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

    "The worst is the soundtrack of the boys shrieking," the reporter told an
    ACLU convention last week. Hersh says there was "a massive amount of
    criminal wrongdoing that was covered up at the highest command out there,
    and higher."

    This may be the reason behind President Obama's decision this week to fight
    releasing the images and video tapes.

    Hersh was speaking to the ACLU's 2004 America At A Crossroad membership
    conference last week. According to Kos, Hersh also said,

    Some of the worse that happened that you don't know about, ok. Videos,
    there are women there. Some of you may have read they were passing letters,
    communications out to their men. This is at Abu Ghraib which is 30 miles
    from Baghdad [...]

    "The women were passing messages saying "Please come and kill me, because
    of what's happened". Basically what happened is that those women who were
    arrested with young boys/children in cases that have been recorded. The boys
    were sodomized with the cameras rolling. The worst about all of them is the
    soundtrack of the boys shrieking that your government has. They are in total
    terror it's going to come out.

    It's impossible to say to yourself how do we get there? Who are we? Who
    are these people that sent us there?

    As Dick Price wrote to me, whatever moral high ground we once held is gone.
    Maybe forever. We should all be in mourning for America.

    Charley James
    The Progressive Curmudgeon

    LA Progressive