the Lake

  • Michael obrien
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 8, 2008
      an informative update tonight at the meeting. no, we still don't know what killed the Lotuses, but the consultant is working on it.

      the next update meeting will be Wed., November 19 at Logan School, 6:30. mark your calendars now. it will be cooler then....

      Michael O'Brien

    • Michael obrien
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 19, 2010
        The Cultural Heritage Commission has just heard the dog and pony show from the Bureau of Engineering about the proposed Lake improvements. They were concerned about the lighting fixtures proposed. No one mentioned that THIRTY PERCENT OF THE LAKE SURFACE WILL BE COVERED WITH "WEEDS"--sorry, wetlands--if the proposal is constructed. Hello! Let's talk about the Elephant In The Room........

        Oh, yes, and some trees around the Lake will be preserved. To do this, they feel that they have to extend the shoreline as much as 10 feet into the Lake. We're losing even more Lake........

        Michael O'Brien

      • Jenny Burman
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 19, 2010
          I don't have a hard opinion on this -- but isn't what they're proposing a "soft" -- i.e., more natural -- edging around the lake? Replacing the ugly hard edge we have now. Why do you consider this a bad thing?

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 20, 2010
            you note that my post said nothing about the Lake edge, only the Lake surface. and I think that covering 30% of the Lake with weeds is a bad thing--think of how much less surface there will be for the paddleboats and the dragon boat races. whatever--another bad thing is the Engineering hasn't acknowledged this or analyzed it in their DEIR. outside of this being illegal, it is not providing the citizenry with the information that they need to form an opinion on the Lake "improvements."

            as to the edges, so what? the new, "softer"--i.e., planted--edges MAY look nicer, but they will impede access to the Lake for fisherman, people who simply want to touch the water, etc. and, again, the DEIR didn't analyze that impact. now--do you really think that Rec & Parks will maintain the new soft edges? they haven't done a particularly good job of maintaining the Glendale median. note that we will still have hard edges everywhere, just repaired, and just somewhat obscured by the new plantings.

            Michael O'Brien

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 21, 2010
              I have to agree with Michael here : Its wonderful to be able to look
              down into the water, to get right up to the waters edge. The
              immediacy of the abrupt edge is engaging: take a walk around the pond
              at the LA arboretum - less interesting than Echo Park. And we ought
              absolutely to think about recreation: fisherman, feeding ducks, and
              especially boating - the boats, in their time, added as much visual
              interest to the lake as anything else.

              If there is some water quality issue involved perhaps a compromise: to
              have a "hard" edge on the echo park side and a soft one on the
              Glendale side would be in order. wetalnds, like the lily garden, can
              add interest and be lovely. But there is drama in the extend of the
              open water as well - some balance should be struck there I would think.
            • Michael obrien
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 21, 2010
                This is probably a lost cause. There has been hardly any testimony in all the community meetings in opposition to covering 30% of the Lake surface with weeds. And given the legal status of the hearings so far, opposition to the proposal will be ignored, since the only subject is whether or not the DEIR adequately analyzed the environmental impacts. It didn't--SOOOOOOOO many sections that should have dealt with it didn't. In the most critical section--Historic Resources--the author of the DEIR wrote about the Red Herring--solar lights--and didn't mention covering the historic body of water with weeds. Outside of the fact that this is inadequate and illegal--you HAVE to mention it, and you HAVE to analyze its impact, and you HAVE to say why supposedly cleaning the water (you note that Engineering has never said how much cleaning of the water that the weeds would do......) is more important than preserving the historic views of open water. Even the Commission yesterday failed to catch this little problem (maybe we should get some commissioners who know their job....).

                You can oppose the project at the Board of Public Works meeting when the project reaches them for their approval, but I wouldn't waste my time. They are so preoccupied with water quality that they fail to consider the problems that their solutions to cleaning the water produce. Tunnel vision.

                Michael O'Brien

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 16, 2010

                • Esther
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 16, 2010
                    Are they going to still have islands in the lake for the ducks, geese, etc. I don't see how the wildlife will be protected without having an island to go to. The eggs would be picked off pretty easily, plus they would be "sitting ducks" for predators such as dogs, coyotes, etc.

                    E.-

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 16, 2010
                      Thanks, Michael.

                      Malcolm Schenot

                      Echo Park, Los Angeles

                        The "wetlands" will be removed, but other vegetation will be planted in some areas along the perimeter of the lake.

                        Judy Raskin

                        Are they going to still have islands in the lake for the ducks, geese, etc. I don't see how the wildlife will be protected without having an island to go to. The eggs would be picked off pretty easily, plus they would be "sitting ducks" for predators such as dogs, coyotes, etc.

                        E.-

                          Wouldn't being on the perimeter make the water fowl more vulnerable? Especially their eggs? Or is it somehow protected that isn't apparent? Or is this going to be like Golden State Park, where an area of the park was relandscaped, destroying a song bird habitat and then the song birds disappeared?

                          The "wetlands" will be removed, but other vegetation will be planted in some areas along the perimeter of the lake.

                          Judy Raskin

                          Are they going to still have islands in the lake for the ducks, geese, etc. I don't see how the wildlife will be protected without having an island to go to. The eggs would be picked off pretty easily, plus they would be "sitting ducks" for predators such as dogs, coyotes, etc.

                          E.-

                            the existing island will remain. you don't want to litter the lake with any more crap......

                            Michael O'Brien

                            Are they going to still have islands in the lake for the ducks, geese, etc. I don't see how the wildlife will be protected without having an island to go to. The eggs would be picked off pretty easily, plus they would be "sitting ducks" for predators such as dogs, coyotes, etc.

                            E.-

                              waterfowl don't lay eggs in the water, only on the island.

                              Michael O'Brien

                              Wouldn't being on the perimeter make the water fowl more vulnerable? Especially their eggs? Or is it somehow protected that isn't apparent? Or is this going to be like Golden State Park, where an area of the park was relandscaped, destroying a song bird habitat and then the song birds disappeared?

                              The "wetlands" will be removed, but other vegetation will be planted in some areas along the perimeter of the lake.

                              Judy Raskin

                              Are they going to still have islands in the lake for the ducks, geese, etc. I don't see how the wildlife will be protected without having an island to go to. The eggs would be picked off pretty easily, plus they would be "sitting ducks" for predators such as dogs, coyotes, etc.

                              E.-

                                Yep, that's why I was asking about the island.

                                Thanks!

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                • Lisa
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                    None of that has ever been found. Urban legend. A pair of panties was once found, though. And a certain tree in Elysian Park is not the hanging tree.

                                  • Michael obrien
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 16, 2013
                                    • Michael obrien
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 9, 2013
                                        you've probably noticed the green pond scum on the Lake. don't worry--this is normal. any time you create a pond or lake it takes some time for the body of water to settle down and form its ecology. things will get better once the plants are growing, fish are re-introduced, and the birds come back. in the meantime, enjoy the artsy patterns that it forms.

                                        Michael O'Brien
                                      • Trey Baskett
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 9, 2013
                                          Michael, back in KY we call that Water Meal. Same thing?

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 12, 2013
                                            http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0511-echo-park-lake-20130511,0,4639170.story

                                            http://echopark.patch.com/articles/photos-echo-park-lake-nearly-open#photo-14310904

                                            Michael O'Brien
                                          • Michael obrien
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 12, 2013
                                              At the Lake you will see some tall trees near the Park Ave. side with ferny foliage and orange flowers. Those are the Silk Oak--it has nothing to do with silk, and it's not an oak--Grevillea robusta. You can also see some by Stadium Way at the 5 freeway. These are tall trees that can tolerate a lot of abuse, but they have the defect of being brittle and have a tendency to drop branches. Not for the average garden, but good in large open spaces.

                                              Michael O'Brien
                                            • Michael obrien
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 27, 2013
                                              • Esther
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 27, 2013
                                                  What does look like it died is some of the tree from hell shoots. I wonder what miracle caused them to die.

                                                  "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - MLK, Jr.