33013Announcement: Grand Re-Opening of Echo Park Lake, Flyer attached

  • Alejandra Marroquin
    Jun 7, 2013

    Dear Friends,

    It is with great enthusiasm that we share this announcement.

    We would like to invite you to the grand re-opening of Echo Park Lake taking place June 15th at 10am at Park Ave. and Logan St.

    The lake was originally built in the 1860s as a reservoir for drinking water. Today, Echo Park Lake is a landmark that functions primarily as a detention basin in the City’s storm drain system, while providing recreational benefits and wildlife habitat. Echo Park Lake also plays host to community events, such as the beloved Lotus Festival.

    The City of Los Angeles has rehabilitated Echo Park Lake to help remedy any stormwater pollution, meet the State’s water quality standards, and give the Echo Park community an improved and more sustainable lake to enjoy. Key elements of the project include new lake edging, a clay liner to reduce water leaking through the lake bottom, in-lake re-circulation and aeration systems, wetland areas, water-wise landscaping, porous pavement walking paths, and a RECONSTRUCTED LOTUS BED which is currently blooming.

    After a two-year rehabilitation project, the park is now ready to be enjoyed once more by the public.

    We hope you will be able to join us during this historic event taking place Saturday, June 15th.  Please see the flyer for further information and also, please feel free to share the announcement with your friends and family.  The event will be free and open to the public.

    Thank you,

    Alejandra Marroquin
    Deputy District Director
    Councilmember, Eric Garcetti