      From: Malcolm Schenot <rmschenot@...>
      To: "EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com" <EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:52 PM
      Subject: Re: [EchoElysianNCForum] AT&T vs Time Warner: who has the better deal/service around Elysian Heights?

      DSL doesn't work in this neighborhood because the radio station just west of Glendale Blvd (you can see the lights on top of it at night) interferes with the land lines, which include DSL. When I first moved here I had to give up my cordless phone, which picked up the station clearly. I got AT&T  DSL and it didn't work. One of the technicians admitted to me what was going on.

      So I have Time Warner cable internet, and it runs great because the cable wires are not affected, and neither are cell phones for that matter. It's more expensive, and the company itself is nothing to write home about, but it works.

      Lots of people have tried to do something about that radio station (to no avail), but it's been years since anyone I know has mentioned the problem.

      Malcolm Schenot
      Echo Park, Los Angeles

      From:"Michael Lawler" <michael.lawler@...>
      Date:November 8, 2012 8:12:41 PM PST
      To:EchoElysianNCForum@yahoogroups.com
      Our DSL from AT&T is so miserable that we're going to get cable even though we don't have a TV.  2.6 mbps down and 480 up in Los Angeles, the media capital of the world?  And that's the best they've got?  It's not enough to stream hi-def, and even then, it often stalls.  Reminds me of dial-up.  And then there's the connection dropping when the phone rings, and their miserable 2-Wire router which needs to be rebooted at all the wrong times, a process which takes WAY too long.  And then there's their miserable, uncaring, hard to reach, "customer service followed by an incompetent service call.  I just put up with the problems now -- it's too much of a pain to get service and the service doesn't resolve the problems.  I can't yet speak of the competition, but no, I wouldn't recommend AT&T.

      ml

      At 05:55 PM 11/8/2012, you wrote:

      well, I have AT&T--just because moving providers gets me into multiple un-comparable plans, and I can't tell what gives the best service for the best price. and AT&T will eventually send you a confirmation e-mail where you have to fill in your personal information. Problem is, the AT&T form is in TWO POINT TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! barely displayable. and they do not support the Mac Safari browser, altho you can ignore this, and things work out just the same. saying all this, the service is reliable, once you get through the thicket of "customer service." (pardon me while I collapse in gales of laughter over that last phrase......)

      Michael O'Brien