Intro & request

  • betsypanda
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2005
      I am a PhD candidate with Colorado State University currently working
      on my proposal entitled:

      Comparison of Parental Influences on Two Groups of Professional Women:
      Those in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering and Those in Humanities
      and Social Sciences

      I am currently seeking participants in Humanities and Social Sciences.
      Please let me know if your list is appropriate and whether or not
      you'd allow me to ask for participants.

      The online survey will be anonymous, confidential and voluntary.

      If your list is not appropriate, would you please direct me to
      alternate lists?

      Thank you in advance.

      Betsy
    • Michael Tamada
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2005
        Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 03:10:28 -0000
        From: "betsypanda" <betsypanda@...>

        >I am a PhD candidate with Colorado State University currently working
        >on my proposal entitled:
        >
        >Comparison of Parental Influences on Two Groups of Professional Women:
        >Those in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering and Those in Humanities
        >and Social Sciences
        >
        >I am currently seeking participants in Humanities and Social Sciences.
        >Please let me know if your list is appropriate and whether or not
        >you'd allow me to ask for participants.

        I personally don't have any objection, but I don't know how others
        on this list feel.

        However, this list gets very little traffic, so I don't know how
        much response you'll get.

        Also, if you're looking for women in the Social Sciences, although
        Economics is, technically speaking, a social science, it is the most
        mathematical of them and I wouldn't be surprised if women in economics
        have more in common with women in Sci/Math/Eng than with women in
        Hum/Soc Sci. I suspect that Finance is even more so.

        It is an interesting research project. I read somewhere that one
        thing that American women engineers almost all have in common is
        this: their fathers were engineers (or mothers, but there were
        so few women engineers in the past that there just weren't very
        many mother engineers).

        --MKT