VISTA OF VEDIC MATH

  • simranvagh
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2004
      VISTA OF VEDIC MATH

      Vedic Mathematics is becoming increasingly popular as more and more
      people are introduced to the beautifully unified and easy Vedic
      methods. The purpose of this article is to provide information about
      developments in education and research and books, articles, courses,
      talks etc., and also to bring together those working with Vedic
      Mathematics.

      If you are working with Vedic Mathematics - teaching it or doing
      research - please contact us and let us include you and some
      description of your work on newsboard.

      Vedic Mathematics can complement modern mathematics. It has already
      been included in CBSE(Centerl Board of School Education, India)
      curriculum or taught in some US countries. If you are learning Vedic
      Maths, let us know how you are getting on and what you think of this
      system.

      In this article I will tell you how Vedic Mathematics is taking care
      of math anxiety, competitive exams, desire to learn new things and
      the person who is taking care of Vedic Mathematics it self.

      =================================
      MATH ANXIETY
      =================================

      Research shows that more than 85% children fears mathematics.
      "students who go into a math class with negative ideas about their
      abilities in certain areas of math have grades which reflect that
      attitude? And on a different note, the students who have positive
      ideas about math have grades reflecting that attitude?"

      Why students fear mathematics?
      Because
      *everybody around them tells that MATH is difficult
      *they develop a mind set that MATH is difficult
      *lack of innovations in conventional methods of teaching

      By about age 12, students who feel threatened by mathematics start to
      avoid math courses, do poorly in the few math classes they do take,
      and earn low scores on math-achievement tests. Some scientists have
      theorized that kids having little math aptitude in the first place
      justifiably dread grappling with numbers. Even college student's mind
      wobbles while doing long calculation.

      Mark H. Ashcraft and Elizabeth P. Kirk, both psychologists at
      Cleveland (Ohio) State University ran three experiments , each with
      50 to 60 students. Experiments included roughly equal numbers of male
      and female students who cited low, moderate, or high levels of math
      anxiety on a questionnaire.

      In the first experiment, Ashcraft and Kirk found that students with a
      high level of math anxiety enrolled in fewer math courses, received
      lower math grades, and scored worse on working-memory tests involving
      numbers than their peers did.

      Math anxiety's disruptive effects on working memory appeared in the
      next experiment. In a series of trials, students first saw a set of
      letters to be remembered. They were then timed as they performed a
      mental addition problem. After solving it, volunteers tried to recall
      the letters they had seen.

      High-math-anxiety students scored poorly on both tasks but especially
      on the mental addition. Their performance hit bottom on problems that
      involved carrying numbers, such as 47 + 18. However, when permitted
      to use pencil and paper during trials, they did as well as students
      without math worries did, indicating an underlying math competence.

      how can we remove MATH ANXIETY? BY PLAYING MATHEMATICS
      But how can we play mathematics?

      MATHOMATICA uses the prowess of MATH CARROM, MATH ANTAKSHARI,
      MATHOMATICA S/W, VEDIC MATHEMATICS, MAGIC SQUARES and GEO BOARD (All
      are in games format) to remove MATH FEAR from children's mind.
      Information about MATHOMATICA is available on www.mathomatica.com\.

      At MATHOMATICA we can play mathematics. Pragya a student of
      MATHOMATICA from Noida(INDIA) says that "I hated mathematics. I
      always thought that mathematics is a boring subject. I never scored
      good marks in mathematics. After joining this course my views has
      changed completely. Now, I know that mathematics can be very
      interesting. I do not fear mathematics now because it is so much fun
      out here. I enjoyed the game of Magic square and Math Carrom. I am
      confident that I can solve problems very fast. My speed has gone up
      considerably."

      ======================================
      COMPETETIVE EXAMS
      ======================================
      This year Vedic Maths workshops conduted almost every week since
      january. Some of them were on behalf of Hindustan Times and some
      colleges invited Magical Methods at their campus. The participants
      were from all age groups and many were engineering students who were
      planning to appear for the CAT/CET exams this year. They were become
      excited when MagicalMethods visited their venue.
      These students definitely were very much interested in learning more
      of the advanced level. The Lecture, given by Mr. Pradeep Kumar
      (ALMNUS IIMB), has aroused their interest so much that many wanted to
      learn more. They were very thrilled with the fast calculation methods
      of Vedic mathematics. They definitely agreed that using vedic methods
      they can increase their speed levels as well as understanding the
      numbers better. They said specifically that even with a little
      practice they could see improvement in their performance in the
      competitive exams. This is definitely a positive sign that VM is
      welcome among the student community.

      ======================================
      DESIRE TO LEARN NEW THINGS
      ======================================
      Guys with the appetite of doing new things and talent gaining also
      takes interest in Vedic Mathematics. When we asked Ramnivas (45
      years old) that why do you want to learn Vedic mathematics he
      told "Next year I am shifting to Canada. There I'll teach Vedic
      Mathematics to Canadian people. I want to spread it as much as I can
      so that all people in this world can benefit from it. I'll feel happy
      to do this".

      A series of free Internet lessons by Mr. Pradeep Kumar has been
      provided on magicalmethods. Pradeep Kumar is the leading Indian Vedic
      Mathematics expert. He is on the expert panel of Times of India and
      Indiatimes.com. He did his Mechanical Engineering from Bhagalpur
      College of Engineering and MBA from IIM Bangalore with distinction.
      He has been exploring the magical world of "Vedic Mathematics" since
      1988. And while doing that he took upon the task of returning "Vedic
      Mathematics" its lost glory. All of his lessons and researched
      products are still available at the website:
      http://www.magicalmethods.org/.

      He wrote a few books and developed several courses for the students.
      He started conducting workshops in 1998. Till date he has conducted
      more than 1000 workshops and numerous demonstrations.

      His efforts are bringing pleasant results and we are hopeful that one
      day these methods will be taught across the globe.

      end of message