Re: The accuracy of a survey

  • Ingo Klein
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11 11:27 PM
      Hello Joshi,

      Statistically, no answer is better than a wrong one.
      Hence I suggest to emphasise anonymity and the
      importance of being "honest", that often has a
      positive effect.

      best,

      Ingo

      --- "Joshi, Adarsh" <adarsh@...> wrote: >
      > Dear Colleagues,
      >
      > I am trying to design a survey for college students.
      > One of the critical
      > questions of the survey would be the respective GPAs
      > of the concerned
      > students. However, I am skeptical if people,
      > especially those with GPAs in
      > the lower range, would choose to answer this
      > question. And there's a
      > possibility that many people may answer the
      > questions wrongly. This might
      > lead to a sample bias and the conclusions of the
      > survey might be all wrong.
      > Hence, I seek your help on tackling this problem.
      > Please let me know what
      > you feel about the situation. Are there any books or
      > published articles on
      > the topic that you know of?
      >
      > Awaiting your response,
      > Adarsh Joshi

    • Mario Ratnakar Nagathota
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23 1:09 AM
        hi joshi,
        you are right
        if some people are reluctant to answer/give wrong answers then you get
        non-response/wrong response bias which makes the estimates very
        unreliable, however there are a few procedures like trimmed mean but this
        is used mostly when outliers are present, same with any robust method,
        however you might want to try to take a completely simple random sample,
        completely as in follow the random procedures, its not enough if you think
        that it is random enough.

        the best way would be if you could get grades from the school, ofcourse
        the confidentiality issue is there, but you do not need the names, all you
        need is the GPAs, so if you could convince them that all you need is the
        numbers not names they might be willing to give you the information,
        otherwise there is always a bias, all you can do is try to reduce it as
        much as possible using simple random sampling.....

        good luck...

        --- "Joshi, Adarsh" <adarsh@...> wrote:

        > Dear Colleagues,
        >
        > I am trying to design a survey for college students. One of the critical
        >
        > questions of the survey would be the respective GPAs of the concerned
        > students. However, I am skeptical if people, especially those with GPAs
        > in
        > the lower range, would choose to answer this question. And there's a
        > possibility that many people may answer the questions wrongly. This
        > might
        > lead to a sample bias and the conclusions of the survey might be all
        > wrong.
        > Hence, I seek your help on tackling this problem. Please let me know
        > what
        > you feel about the situation. Are there any books or published articles
        > on
        > the topic that you know of?
        >
        > Awaiting your response,
        > Adarsh Joshi

        =====

        +18595767579 cell

        +18593233553 home

      • Saman Riaz
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
          Hi Adarsh

          I conducted a similar survey for my stats course in
          MBA. Trust me it was not all that bad. Though the
          advantage i had was that my sample market was a bit
          small i mean the Universities that offer MBA
          programme.

          I realized that esp. s i was not concerned with their
          names, they were not very reluctant abt letting me
          know their GPA's, though i had to make them understand
          the sensitivity of the survey.

          Like already suggested, checking it from the
          University is a good post check and again universities
          are now a bit open to it.

          well m suggesting so many things, m still not clear s
          to yr purpose of collecting this information, coz that
          does matter.

          Take care

          Saman

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail