The accuracy of a survey

  • Joshi, Adarsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2004
      Dear Colleagues,

      I am trying to design a survey for college students. One of the critical
      questions of the survey would be the respective GPAs of the concerned
      students. However, I am skeptical if people, especially those with GPAs in
      the lower range, would choose to answer this question. And there's a
      possibility that many people may answer the questions wrongly. This might
      lead to a sample bias and the conclusions of the survey might be all wrong.
      Hence, I seek your help on tackling this problem. Please let me know what
      you feel about the situation. Are there any books or published articles on
      the topic that you know of?

      Awaiting your response,
      Adarsh Joshi
    • Ingo Klein
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2004
        Hello Joshi,

        Statistically, no answer is better than a wrong one.
        Hence I suggest to emphasise anonymity and the
        importance of being "honest", that often has a
        positive effect.

        best,

        Ingo

        --- "Joshi, Adarsh" <adarsh@...> wrote: >
        > Dear Colleagues,
        >
        > I am trying to design a survey for college students.
        > One of the critical
        > questions of the survey would be the respective GPAs
        > of the concerned
        > students. However, I am skeptical if people,
        > especially those with GPAs in
        > the lower range, would choose to answer this
        > question. And there's a
        > possibility that many people may answer the
        > questions wrongly. This might
        > lead to a sample bias and the conclusions of the
        > survey might be all wrong.
        > Hence, I seek your help on tackling this problem.
        > Please let me know what
        > you feel about the situation. Are there any books or
        > published articles on
        > the topic that you know of?
        >
        > Awaiting your response,
        > Adarsh Joshi

      • Mario Ratnakar Nagathota
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2004
          hi joshi,
          you are right
          if some people are reluctant to answer/give wrong answers then you get
          non-response/wrong response bias which makes the estimates very
          unreliable, however there are a few procedures like trimmed mean but this
          is used mostly when outliers are present, same with any robust method,
          however you might want to try to take a completely simple random sample,
          completely as in follow the random procedures, its not enough if you think
          that it is random enough.

          the best way would be if you could get grades from the school, ofcourse
          the confidentiality issue is there, but you do not need the names, all you
          need is the GPAs, so if you could convince them that all you need is the
          numbers not names they might be willing to give you the information,
          otherwise there is always a bias, all you can do is try to reduce it as
          much as possible using simple random sampling.....

          good luck...

          --- "Joshi, Adarsh" <adarsh@...> wrote:

          > Dear Colleagues,
          >
          > I am trying to design a survey for college students. One of the critical
          >
          > questions of the survey would be the respective GPAs of the concerned
          > students. However, I am skeptical if people, especially those with GPAs
          > in
          > the lower range, would choose to answer this question. And there's a
          > possibility that many people may answer the questions wrongly. This
          > might
          > lead to a sample bias and the conclusions of the survey might be all
          > wrong.
          > Hence, I seek your help on tackling this problem. Please let me know
          > what
          > you feel about the situation. Are there any books or published articles
          > on
          > the topic that you know of?
          >
          > Awaiting your response,
          > Adarsh Joshi

          =====

          +18595767579 cell

          +18593233553 home

        • Saman Riaz
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
            Hi Adarsh

            I conducted a similar survey for my stats course in
            MBA. Trust me it was not all that bad. Though the
            advantage i had was that my sample market was a bit
            small i mean the Universities that offer MBA
            programme.

            I realized that esp. s i was not concerned with their
            names, they were not very reluctant abt letting me
            know their GPA's, though i had to make them understand
            the sensitivity of the survey.

            Like already suggested, checking it from the
            University is a good post check and again universities
            are now a bit open to it.

            well m suggesting so many things, m still not clear s
            to yr purpose of collecting this information, coz that
            does matter.

            Take care

            Saman

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail