Hello Everyone

  • Rachel <rgpinol@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002
      HI...I'm an aspiring Graduate student hoping to enter a math program
      somewhere in the United States.

      The application process is so hard, I'm scared to death of it. Anyone
      here have any pointers about what I should or should not do during
      the application process?

      Rachel
    • Johanna Franklin
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2002
        Hi, Rachel,

        Let me introduce myself - I'm a second-year logic grad student at
        Berkeley.

        My first suggestion would be to not panic. :)

        Other than that - When you write the personal statement (for me,
        that was the most time-consuming bit, other than standing in line at the
        post office), get other people to read it. Not necessarily a math
        person, either - the director of undergraduate research programs at my
        university was very helpful.

        Just take things as they come. Get the exams taken care of, and
        have the scores sent so you don't have to worry about them anymore. Make
        a list of the courses you've taken and any honors you've gotten for your
        recommenders so they can write more complete letters. A list of
        instructions for how each letter should be sent would be helpful for them,
        too ("fill out the attached form and mail it in the preaddressed envelope
        I've given you / give it back to me in a sealed envelope with your name
        written over the flap so I can mail it with my application").

        It sounds like you may not be from the US - I don't know anything
        about anything special you have to do when applying from outside the
        country. Something to consider might be applying for governmental
        scholarships from your own country. I'm sure it's not the same
        everywhere, but my department has been a bit squeezed budgetwise and
        really prefers people to apply for money from someone else. That's not to
        say that they can't fund us, but they would rather not have to.

        Of course, if I misinterpreted your note and you're in the US, my
        apologies. :)

        I hope this helps!

        Johanna

        *
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2002
          Well, I'm in Puerto Rico so the application process should be the
          same as anyone out of state, not international.

          Berkeley is actually one of the Universities I've considered. I'm
          just scared about getting accepted because of my GPA.

          Unfortunately, I've been out of school for two years and when I was I
          didn't really think about going for my Master's. I was hoping that
          was it. So I made the mistake of not establishing good contacts for
          my recommendations. The University I went to is a little out of my
          way here and I hated it so much that it's a chore for me to even go
          get my transcripts. But I'm hoping to do all of that in January,
          because the offices here are a pain to go to during the Christmas
          season.

          But as I've been working here and I see it's really necessary to get
          my Master's, and I would also like to immerse myself into my field a
          lot more than I've done up till now. I'm not exactly sure what I
          want to do yet so that makes writing my Statement of Purpose just a
          little more difficult.

          I don't know if I should apply this year or first take my GRE, visit
          the schools and take a few courses here for another year. I just feel
          that if I keep putting it off I'll never do it. I'm 33 and not
          getting any younger.

          Rachel