Economics Institutes in India

  • steveodg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
      Dear members,

      I am thinking of doing research on some welfare economics issues at
      the University of Wales in UK. For the purpose I had been to India to
      some time back to understand some of the issues and to have first
      hand information. I had chance to visit some of the Universities as
      well but the visit was not that fruitful. Could any of you suggest
      me some of the good institutions in India involved in Economic
      research.

      Steve Jackson
    • Mario Ratnakar Nagathota
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
        Well steve,
        I guess the Indian Statistical Institute does good reasearch in economics.
        There are two centres for it. One is in Kolkata( formerly Calcutta) and
        another is in Delhi. I guess the Delhi one does better research in
        Economics whereas the former one is good for econometrics. and there is
        Delhi School of Economics. These should serve your purpose.
        Good Luck.

        Mario

        --- steveodg <steveodg@...> wrote:
        > Dear members,
        >
        > I am thinking of doing research on some welfare economics issues at
        > the University of Wales in UK. For the purpose I had been to India to
        > some time back to understand some of the issues and to have first
        > hand information. I had chance to visit some of the Universities as
        > well but the visit was not that fruitful. Could any of you suggest
        > me some of the good institutions in India involved in Economic
        > research.
        >
        > Steve Jackson

        =====

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
      • Wafa Hakim
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
          For welfare economics, you could also try the IGIDR (Indira Gandhi
          Institute of Developmental Research) in Mumbai, apart from the 2 that Mario
          suggested. There's also constant research work going on at various
          universities- the Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi, Delhi University, &
          the Universities of Mumbai & Kolkata to name a few - were these the ones
          where you said your visit was "not very fruitful"?

          Regards,
          Wafa.

          At 05:43 PM 1/7/02 +0000, you wrote:
          >Dear members,
          >
          >I am thinking of doing research on some welfare economics issues at
          >the University of Wales in UK. For the purpose I had been to India to
          >some time back to understand some of the issues and to have first
          >hand information. I had chance to visit some of the Universities as
          >well but the visit was not that fruitful. Could any of you suggest
          >me some of the good institutions in India involved in Economic
          >research.
          >
          >Steve Jackson

          "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
          -- Pablo Picasso.
        • Mario Ratnakar Nagathota
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
            And yes, if you could contact University Grants Commission(UGC) Delhi,
            then it might be of a great help to you.

            Mario

            =====