Re: Mathematical Finance: overlapping programs?

  • bob maher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2001
      Look at Finance departments within business schools. At Kellogg, both
      the Finance department, and my dept - MEDS (Managerial Economics and
      Decision Sciences) at extremely mathematical.

      No matter where you go for a PhD in Finance, it will be quite
      mathematical. In my first two years of coursework I had a bit of
      overlap with PhD's from the Math dept. (real analysis, probability in
      the Math dept, and Linear / Convex / Integer programming in my dept).

      I suspect that other top business schools are the same.

      Here, and at other universities, there are often overlapping
      departments within different schools. Here we have MEDS, within the
      business school, and the Department of Economics, within the College
      of Arts and Sciences. The overlapping faculty in publish in the same
      journals, go to the same conferences, etc.. The only significant
      difference is that one teaches MBA's, and one teaches undergrads. And
      the B-School profs make $30k more per year.

      Good luck,

      Bob Maher