query!!

  • Triyakshana.V
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2001
      hi,

      iam a grad student at an indian university. i have been wondering at
      the relationship between interest rates and exchange rates. i was
      trying to link the theory with the practical situation, and even
      thought i would run a regression with the simple monetary model of
      exchange rate determination. but while looking up the data for the
      interest rate i did not know which interest rate t consider.

      for example in India we have the prime lending rate and the other
      rates too. can any of u tell me which one i should be using in my
      analysis? the question might seem silly to many of you nevertheless i
      have asked it.

      cheers
      triya
    • anna banana
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2001
        im not really sure with the set-up you have in india
        in your own bureau of treasury. but here in the
        philippines, we use the 91-tbill rate,this is where we
        base our prime lending and borrowing rate.

        --- "Triyakshana.V" <triyakshana@...> wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > iam a grad student at an indian university. i have
        > been wondering at
        > the relationship between interest rates and exchange
        > rates. i was
        > trying to link the theory with the practical
        > situation, and even
        > thought i would run a regression with the simple
        > monetary model of
        > exchange rate determination. but while looking up
        > the data for the
        > interest rate i did not know which interest rate t
        > consider.
        >
        > for example in India we have the prime lending rate
        > and the other
        > rates too. can any of u tell me which one i should
        > be using in my
        > analysis? the question might seem silly to many of
        > you nevertheless i
        > have asked it.
        >
        > cheers
        > triya

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Jade Eric Redoblado
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2001
          Hi Triya,

          It's me, Jade. I guess the best option is to use the
          interest rate that most businessmen, business analysts
          and policymakers observe and treat as the interest
          rate that "lead" the other interest rates. Here in the
          Philippines, that's the 91-day Treasury Bill rate.

          Jade

          PS: How's IIM-Ahmedabad?

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/