Re: [Easy400Group] opening remote vs local files: LR problem

  • Giovanni Perotti
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Saving or restoring data files when CGIs are active is the nightmare of any
      CGI webmaster.

      I would suggest a simple minded approach.

      1- Have your CGIs reading a single dataarea: "Should I set LR on before
      returning?": value Y/N.
      2- Develop a small command (SavStrHttp) tied to a CL program that
      a) sets the dataarea to Y
      b) ends the HTTP servers and waits until this is done
      c) restarts the HTTP servers
      d) performs the saves
      e) sets the dataarea to N

      In my opinion the impact to HTTP availability would be minimum (just the
      time of the save).
      No disruption would take place, as current transactions will come to
      completion before HTTP server thread jobs are ended

      dr. Giovanni B. Perotti
      gb_perotti@...
      Easy400 webmaster

      "miker42.rm"
      <MikeR42@rocketma To: Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
      il.com> cc:
      Subject: [Easy400Group] opening remote vs local files
      31/07/02 21.50
      Please respond to
      Easy400Group

      Breifly:

      I want to be able to close the files currently open for multiple
      server jobs in QHTTPSVR. The files have been left open by jobs that
      ended without setting on LR.

      More Info:

      We have an AS400 with multiple partitions. One has our production
      data. Another is where we plan on running our web site. Many files
      will be replicated to the web partition, but we want to access a
      couple of files live from the production partition. We have not
      worked out the details, but we are probably going to use DDM files.

      Daily, our production partition does a tape backup and then runs a
      set of nightly jobs. We don't want locks on the production files from
      the web partition while the production partition is trying to do a
      backup.

      To increase performance our CGIs on the web partition open their
      files and leave them open. So I could have many server jobs,
      currently with none of our CGIs in the call stack, with our
      production files open. Each of the server jobs could have called any
      number of several programs which could have opened these files.

      Our goal at this point is to copy the production data just before the
      backup to the web partition. Then we would redirect the CGIs to point
      to the local versions of the file while the production partition does
      it's backup. When the backup is done we would point the CGIs back to
      the production files.

      I could just call every program in question with some "signal" to set
      on LR, but I don't know how I would get the program called from each
      of the server jobs. From a browser I have no control over which
      server job gets control when I make a request (I believe that is a
      true statement).

      I envision running a batch job that "reaches" over to each of the
      server jobs to tell it to close it's files, either through calling
      the original jobs and setting on LR, or ... ? not sure.

      Now I feel I'm starting to ramble. Does anyone have any ideas for a
      backup solution, or accessing files across partitions that would not
      disturb a tape backup, or closing files in the server jobs in
      question, or the validity of leaving the files open all the time?

      Thanks,
      Mike

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • miker42.rm
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
        Thank you for your response.

        I have a question about your suggestion. In a CGI environment my
        programs are not running if no one is currently accessing a page. If
        I have left my files open in a previous call where the DTAARA = N,
        and now I set the DTAARA = Y, how do I get the program to be called
        so I can set on LR?

        Easy400Group@y...
        > il.com>
        cc:

        > Subject:
        [Easy400Group] opening remote vs local
        files
        > 31/07/02
        21.50

        > Please respond

        Easy400Group

        > Breifly:
        >
        > I want to be able to close the files currently open for multiple
        > server jobs in QHTTPSVR. The files have been left open by jobs that
        > ended without setting on LR.
        >
        > More Info:
        >
        > We have an AS400 with multiple partitions. One has our production
        > data. Another is where we plan on running our web site. Many files
        > will be replicated to the web partition, but we want to access a
        > couple of files live from the production partition. We have not
        > worked out the details, but we are probably going to use DDM files.
        >
        > Daily, our production partition does a tape backup and then runs a
        > set of nightly jobs. We don't want locks on the production files
        from
        > the web partition while the production partition is trying to do a
        > backup.
        >
        > To increase performance our CGIs on the web partition open their
        > files and leave them open. So I could have many server jobs,
        > currently with none of our CGIs in the call stack, with our
        > production files open. Each of the server jobs could have called any
        > number of several programs which could have opened these files.
        >
        > Our goal at this point is to copy the production data just before
        the
        > backup to the web partition. Then we would redirect the CGIs to
        point
        > to the local versions of the file while the production partition
        does
        > it's backup. When the backup is done we would point the CGIs back to
        > the production files.
        >
        > I could just call every program in question with some "signal" to
        set
        > on LR, but I don't know how I would get the program called from each
        > of the server jobs. From a browser I have no control over which
        > server job gets control when I make a request (I believe that is a
        > true statement).
        >
        > I envision running a batch job that "reaches" over to each of the
        > server jobs to tell it to close it's files, either through calling
        > the original jobs and setting on LR, or ... ? not sure.
        >
        > Now I feel I'm starting to ramble. Does anyone have any ideas for a
        > backup solution, or accessing files across partitions that would not
        > disturb a tape backup, or closing files in the server jobs in
        > question, or the validity of leaving the files open all the time?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Giovanni Perotti
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
          The idea (see Step 2) is that you end HTTP servers, then immediatly restart
          them with the data area telling ("Y") that LR sould be raised.
          You are now providing HTTP service second class, but you have no locks on
          database files, so, WHILE STILL PROVIDING HTTP SERVICE, you can perform
          your saves.
          Once your saves are done, change the data area value to "N". Cgi's will no
          longer raise LR and your HTTP service will now be first class.

          In a sense this approach looks like the car driver tooth brush.
          You can brush your teeth while driving, but cannot exceed 40 miles per hour
          while brushing.
          The great of it is that you do not have to stop driving while brushing your
          teeth.
          Patent pending ...!

          Best regards/Cordiali saluti
          dr. Giovanni B. Perotti
          gb_perotti@...
          Easy400 webmaster
          iSeries 400 Technical Sales Support, IBM ITALY
          Phone +39-02-596.25854
          http://www.easy400.ibm.it

          "miker42.rm"
          <MikeR42@rocketma To: Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
          il.com> cc:
          Subject: [Easy400Group] Re: opening remote vs local files: LR problem
          02/08/02 16.13
          Please respond to
          Easy400Group

          Easy400Group@y...
          > il.com>
          cc:

          > Subject:
          [Easy400Group] opening remote vs local
          files
          > 31/07/02
          21.50

          > Please respond

          Easy400Group

          > Breifly:
          >
          > I want to be able to close the files currently open for multiple
          > server jobs in QHTTPSVR. The files have been left open by jobs that
          > ended without setting on LR.
          >
          > More Info:
          >
          > We have an AS400 with multiple partitions. One has our production
          > data. Another is where we plan on running our web site. Many files
          > will be replicated to the web partition, but we want to access a
          > couple of files live from the production partition. We have not
          > worked out the details, but we are probably going to use DDM files.
          >
          > Daily, our production partition does a tape backup and then runs a
          > set of nightly jobs. We don't want locks on the production files
          from
          > the web partition while the production partition is trying to do a
          > backup.
          >
          > To increase performance our CGIs on the web partition open their
          > files and leave them open. So I could have many server jobs,
          > currently with none of our CGIs in the call stack, with our
          > production files open. Each of the server jobs could have called any
          > number of several programs which could have opened these files.
          >
          > Our goal at this point is to copy the production data just before
          the
          > backup to the web partition. Then we would redirect the CGIs to
          point
          > to the local versions of the file while the production partition
          does
          > it's backup. When the backup is done we would point the CGIs back to
          > the production files.
          >
          > I could just call every program in question with some "signal" to
          set
          > on LR, but I don't know how I would get the program called from each
          > of the server jobs. From a browser I have no control over which
          > server job gets control when I make a request (I believe that is a
          > true statement).
          >
          > I envision running a batch job that "reaches" over to each of the
          > server jobs to tell it to close it's files, either through calling
          > the original jobs and setting on LR, or ... ? not sure.
          >
          > Now I feel I'm starting to ramble. Does anyone have any ideas for a
          > backup solution, or accessing files across partitions that would not
          > disturb a tape backup, or closing files in the server jobs in
          > question, or the validity of leaving the files open all the time?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mike
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor