RE: [Easy400Group] Giovanni's voice on CGIDEV, IBM and CTC

  • Jon Paris
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      >> Why not move the whole RPG to opensource and make it work on PCs? ...

      It has been done (several times in fact). If you own the RPG compiler you
      already own IBM's version VARPG - it is shipped with WDSc. The other major
      contender is ASNA's VRPG which is now part of MS's .Net strategy for the
      midrange. Both demonstrate one of the problems - which is that we don't
      think of RPG as a language in the same way that a C programmer thinks of C.
      We tend to include CL, DDS, etc. in the definition - and duplicating OS/400s
      database support on a PC is not trivial.

      There is also (probably) California Software's Baby/400 or whatever and
      there have been many other similar products over the years.

      Jon Paris
      Partner400

      www.Partner400.com
      www.RPGWorld.com
    • Eduardo Biano
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005

        > It has been done (several times in fact). If you
        > own the RPG compiler you
        > already own IBM's version VARPG - it is shipped with
        > WDSc.

        But I think VARPG cannot run on the web.

        > We tend to include CL, DDS, etc. in the definition -
        > and duplicating OS/400s
        > database support on a PC is not trivial.

        I agree it's a big task. Maybe someone can create a
        database driver to access IBM database or better
        opensource database.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • dmay@gordontrucking.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005

          Forgive me because this response is untypically (by me) negative toward US Economy and IBM as a "Blue Chip" corporation.
          Perhaps IBM is thumbing their nose at those that went with CGIDEV and don't want to shell out the money to abandon it and switch to their money maker Websphere is the entire reason for them killing CGIDEV.  They don't care about it, but they don't want that mind set outwardly obvious.

          It's money and profit.  It doesn't matter that you get a handful of companies ticked off because of the investment in programming they have put into a software  that is free. What really matters is PROFIT and selling their higher priced products.  That is all that really matters to the board and even perhaps the investors of IBM stocks.

          I am not one bit surprised at IBM's reaction. Unfortunately, as hard as I try to believe in the ultimate good - I am frequently disappointed and becoming less and less surprised.

          God bless you for trying to keep CGIDEV a live and growing product.  Advice I received as a child:  "Be good to people, but don't expect them to be good back to you."

          Thank you Giovanni.  Take care out there........

          Donna J May
          Programmer / Developer

          "jbperotti" <gb_perotti@...>
          Sent by: Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com

          07/29/2005 03:28 PM

          Please respond to
          Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com

          Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
          cc
          Fax to
          Subject
          [Easy400Group] Giovanni's voice on CGIDEV, IBM and CTC

          I would have bet that IBM would take that decision[CGIDEV back to
          CTC]: the easy one.

          The problem here is not just that of supporting some (already full
          proof) code: this is single facet of a polyhedron, the obviuos and
          dull one, the one that would catch some immediate consensus. This is
          not enough and in a sense by itself is just meaningless.

          The most important facet has to do with IBM willingness and ability
          to have a strategy for iSeries customers not ready or not willing to
          enter the WEB world through Websphere, and already looking to more
          talented platforms.
          So far IBM did not show any real plan in that direction. After doing
          nothing for years, recently just happened to open its development
          roadmap to some companies selling tools in that area. IBM did
          nothing of its own, still appears uncommitted.

          CGIDEV was something born nine years ago without being asked for,
          and was left neglected until a few days ago.

          I was the one deciding to deliver CGIDEV to the market, I did by
          myself what IBM didn't want to do.
          I was the one to make thousand customers enjoy entering the WEB with
          their iSeries by just knowing some RPG.

          I went away from IBM and IBM din't even realize what was happening.
          I asked to continue my mission, they didn't care.
          I spent a days calling to arms hundreds of iSeries customers, who
          implored attention to their needs, then at last IBM was forced to
          wake up and ... it just decided to put the baby back to bed.

          Assigning CGIDEV back to the Rochester CTC profit center, in my
          opinion is in fact the worst shortsighted move IBM could take.
          Maybe they there have the technical skill, by sure they are totally
          missing the vision of the market, that is not their business.
          Should CGIDEV have been left in their hands, no one in the world
          would have known it, except maybe two Minnesota farmers.

          By refusing to let me continue the mission I started and carried out
          so far by myself, IBM has ripped away any chances for its customers
          to be any longer supported at no charge through me.
          The only support they will get from now on would be from the CTC,
          they will learn the difference.

          There is no reason why I should keep CGIDEV on my site.

          There is no reason why I shouldn't close the Easy400Group.

          CTC will start its own forum, will it not?

          Giovanni

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS